PDA

View Full Version : Pagoda coral turning brown

rogeragrimes
06/26/2017, 12:21 PM
A friend has a beautiful pagoda coral that he's had for 8 years. Usually grows and looks pretty beautiful. Lately, its been turning brown over the last few weeks and getting progressively browner (see attached photo). We are not sure what it is. Some big potential impact notes: A few months ago he went from strong metal halides to less strong LEDs. For two months, the pagoda seemed fine, although some of the other life in his tank seemed a little less than 100% as compared to the halide lighting conditions. Second big point is he only changes his water about once a year (and this has worked for at least 9 years). And everything in his tank seems to love it. Nearly everything he grows, grows better in his tank than mine. A little less so after he changing the lighting though. He did an emergency water change last night just in case.

We are wondering if the growing brown color on the pagoda is possibly disease, etc., or just a color change from the different lighting?

JonezNReef
06/26/2017, 03:56 PM
Most of the time when a coral starts to turns brown in my tank it is because it needs more light

fishkeeprian
06/29/2017, 02:27 AM
I always thought was down to the coral producing too much Zooxanthella due to many nutrients i.e. phosphates & nitrates and sometimes too much light.

Corals will change colour depending on light.

C.Eymann
07/08/2017, 09:44 PM
Sounds like lighting was the only variable changed, there you go.