PDA

View Full Version : coral beauty - lateral line disease

rrrrob
06/26/2017, 09:37 PM
I have a fish only/invertebrates tank and I am having a problem with my coral beauty. I have had one in the past with no issues, but this one displays laterial line disease.

When we put it in the refugium of another (reef) tank, it recovers, fairly quickly. Color returns to its face, lateral line discoloration fades and overall color deepens back to normal fairly quickly. Same food in both tanks (marine cuisine, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis, emerald entre, various marine flake food, nori), although the refugium has a lot more seaweed, etc. growing in it.

In reading up on this, I am hearing carbon dust can be a cause (among other things). One thing that has changed since the last coral beauty I had is that I am now using Chemi-pure, which contains carbon. We also use this in the reef tank where the coral beauty recovers nicely (in the refugium), but that tank has a much better protein skimmer, better overall filtration/flow, and gets a lot more water changes, which might be removing more carbon dust than I have been in my fish-only tank. I am only now learning that carbon dust can be an issue. I never used carbon in any form in my marine tanks previously but had an algae breakout and Chemipure seemed to be the way to get rid of it (it was!). I've been using it ever since.

My main reason in posting is that I am leaning toward the Chemipure (or carbon in general) being the cause, but so far all I have read has been somewhat inconclusive. I am hoping that more frequent water changes, especially when adding new Chemipure packs, would solve this. Or perhaps only using Chemipure as needed (during increased algae growth)?

I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue (especially with coral beauties) and if carbon/Chemipure was possibly the cause. I can't put this fish in the reef tank, as they are not entirely reef-safe (and a nightmare to catch if it didn't work out), so I want to eventually return it to the fish-only tank.

Thanks!

Nick_Northern
06/26/2017, 11:52 PM
My coral beauty was showing signs of HLLE which seemed to start as I increased my carbon usage and have gone away since I stopped. It would ne worth while pulling the carbon and giving it a few weeks to see if there is any improvement.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

LobsterOfJustice
06/27/2017, 05:14 AM
Also check for stray voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrrrob
10/11/2017, 03:23 PM
I am definitely leaning toward the Chemipure/carbon products in my situation. After my initial post, I moved the fish back to the original tank that still had Chemipure and it started to show the lateral line problem fairly quickly. Took it out, put it back in the other tank's refugium. While it recovered there, I took the Chemipure packs out of the F.O. tank and did some water changes. When the coral beauty looked healthy again, it went back in the original tank and has been doing fine ever since. Another fish seems less stressed out now also, but that could be my imagination.

When you put Chemipure packs in, the directions say to rinse them LIGHTLY first. A lot of darkish water runs off for quite some time.

Chemipure IS great for getting rid of algae problems, so I am wondering if using it very briefly in times of need would be okay, but at least I know to pay attention to the coral beauty if I do that.

Jdub968
10/11/2017, 04:56 PM
You could try using seachems Purigen as a replacement for the chemipure