PDA

View Full Version : 300 dd enlarging holes?

RAYISKING
06/26/2017, 11:54 PM
Can you enlarge the holes on a 300dd? If so how? What would be the safest way and what would you enlarge them to. Talking about the 1in bulkhead holes in the corner overflows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mishri
06/27/2017, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure they temper the bottom panel after drilling so no. You can verify it, it will say it's tempered.. the other way is to check using the polarized sunglasses... or ask marineland.. but i found other people reporting that yes, the marineland pre-drilled bottom glass is tempered.

Devolver
06/28/2017, 01:09 PM
ive drilled a 300DD and the glass on the side panels is not tempered. i do not believe the bottom is either. but if you contact marineland they will tell you for sure.

tom obrecht
06/28/2017, 01:19 PM
If it's not tempered I've enlarged holes with a glass hole saw and a gig. I'll post some links to help.

tom obrecht
06/28/2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.aquacave.com/diamond-glass-bit-guide-with-suction-holder.html

Put this in place, take your diamond hole saw and start slow with plenary of water to keep cool. Done plenty of holes (enlarging holes) this way.

Mishri
06/28/2017, 02:41 PM
ive drilled a 300DD and the glass on the side panels is not tempered. i do not believe the bottom is either. but if you contact marineland they will tell you for sure.

Most aquariums dont have tempered side panels, most aquariums have tempered bottom panels. I wouldn't assume the bottom panel isn't tempered. -However I did find some people online saying that they called marineland and there is no tempered glass in them. But I would want to verify that myself with the build date (or year you bought it) incase they changed something.

It only takes one lawsuit of someone breaking the bottom glass by dropping something in the aquarium and resulting injury from glass shards for them to start tempering.

albano
06/28/2017, 04:34 PM
About 4 yrs ago, I contacted Marineland about drilling a 300dd and was told that the bottom was tempered glass.

RAYISKING
06/28/2017, 07:43 PM
Ok I bought it last year and I am about to set it up but I was thinking about making the holes 2inchs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

saf1
06/28/2017, 08:26 PM
Honestly if you read some of the horror stories with these tanks I wouldn't even think about enlarging anything on them. I am aware, and understand, not all of their products, 300 DD, etc, all into similar situations.

But just knowing I wouldn't.

RAYISKING
06/29/2017, 09:12 AM
Any recommendation on return pumps. If I leave holes same size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albano
06/29/2017, 10:53 AM
Can you use all 4 holes for overflows and have returns over the top

RAYISKING
06/29/2017, 11:08 AM
Yea I could do that I just got a aquamaxx cone 5 as my skimmer looking for a sump now.

RAYISKING
06/29/2017, 11:09 AM
So I was thinking of doing 2 Cors for apex