PDA

View Full Version : Biota coral beauty's - question for fellow owners

Nick_Northern
06/27/2017, 11:58 AM
Hi all, I know from other threads that a few of us on here have these, whether bonsai or standard and was hoping I could pick you brains.

I'm trying to get a feel for what is a normal respiration rate for these fish, mine breathes around 2-3 times per second which seems pretty fast to me. I've had mine 7 months and I'm pretty sure it's always been this way but it would be good to hear your experiences for comparison. The fish is behaving normally, active and inquisitive as any centropyge should be and doesn't have flukes which I initially thought may be a factor.

Thanks

Nick

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

andytodd2701
06/27/2017, 12:25 PM
I don't have one but would love to know how you got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chgoblknazn
06/27/2017, 12:31 PM
They've been showing up on Divers Den almost daily.

Nick_Northern
06/27/2017, 12:32 PM
I don't have one but would love to know how you got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm in the UK, a wholesaler here imports Biota stock

Half Vaped
06/28/2017, 01:58 AM
It's hard to tell with my Bonsai, since it's always either hiding in its PVC pipe or zooming around its acclimation box. But it looks to be breathing normal, maybe two breaths a second.

If it's acting normal otherwise and has done well for the past seven months, I think it's probably fine. How much has yours grown since you got it?

Nick_Northern
06/28/2017, 10:53 AM
It's hard to tell with my Bonsai, since it's always either hiding in its PVC pipe or zooming around its acclimation box. But it looks to be breathing normal, maybe two breaths a second.

If it's acting normal otherwise and has done well for the past seven months, I think it's probably fine. How much has yours grown since you got it?
They are a nightmare to try and get a good look at aren't they, always watching from the shadows!

Thanks for the response, I asked the wholesaler who imported them over here and hers are apparently around 2 breaths a second too so I'm thinking this is normal like you say, seems fast but then they are very small and active.

Mine is now around 2.5" long, and was around 1" when puchased. It has filled out loads though and is much deeper bodied, I have a cb flame angel around 1" long atm and the beauty dwarfs it.

ReefinND
06/29/2017, 09:09 AM
I haven't been able to tell with my bonsai yet, he mostly swims in and out of the rocks and I don't really get a good look at him. I agree with others, very active little fish.