PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an RBTA in a basket

jccaclimber
06/27/2017, 01:01 PM
My current reef (170, mostly SPS/LPS) was nem-free for the first 6 months it was stocked, then a friend needed to tear a tank down, so I threw in his RBTA which is roughly 9" across. I also added a baby rainbow bubble tip.

For the first 6 months all was well. The nem has good color, is growing, and more importantly was staying put. Fast forward to a bit over a month ago. I am broadcast feeding slightly more food to the tank, and all of the coral is doing better than before, but the RBTA started walking around and hasn't really settled down in the past month. I've foamed the powerheads, but I'm getting tired of coming home to find new dead SPS frags with a nem wrapped around them.

I have a larger (600 gal) tank this will all be transferred to in the near future. The new tank has water, flow, and lights, I'm just messing with the rockwork. In that tank the nem will have its own island, but I need it to not kill everything before then.

Would putting the nem in a floating basket until the next tank is ready be reasonable? I suspect it will be a month or two before I'm comfortable moving the nem across, depending on how other corals handle the move.

Any advice on getting this poor guy to stop moving around would help, but in my experience with RBTA's in another tank (no longer at my house), that's like asking what makes them bubble vs. not bubble in a repeatable manner.

hotelbravo
06/27/2017, 10:56 PM
My current reef (170, mostly SPS/LPS) was nem-free for the first 6 months it was stocked, then a friend needed to tear a tank down, so I threw in his RBTA which is roughly 9" across. I also added a baby rainbow bubble tip.

For the first 6 months all was well. The nem has good color, is growing, and more importantly was staying put. Fast forward to a bit over a month ago. I am broadcast feeding slightly more food to the tank, and all of the coral is doing better than before, but the RBTA started walking around and hasn't really settled down in the past month. I've foamed the powerheads, but I'm getting tired of coming home to find new dead SPS frags with a nem wrapped around them.

I have a larger (600 gal) tank this will all be transferred to in the near future. The new tank has water, flow, and lights, I'm just messing with the rockwork. In that tank the nem will have its own island, but I need it to not kill everything before then.

Would putting the nem in a floating basket until the next tank is ready be reasonable? I suspect it will be a month or two before I'm comfortable moving the nem across, depending on how other corals handle the move.

Any advice on getting this poor guy to stop moving around would help, but in my experience with RBTA's in another tank (no longer at my house), that's like asking what makes them bubble vs. not bubble in a repeatable manner.

Just from my experience getting them to stop walking. I have used reef cement to build pieces of rock together that form golf ball size to tennis ball size holes that the anemone can attach it's foot into. The hole has only the opening and there is no outlet from inside the hole. WeThis works for whatever reason perhaps they can feel protected enough in there.
I have about 9 BTAs now and not a single one is wandering around. They all sit in these holes and feel content.