PDA

View Full Version : KN03 in Kalk Water?

rbp 4 135
06/27/2017, 09:09 PM
Did some searching for this to no avail. I'm looking for a confirmation it will be ok to mix some nitrate supplement in the form of powder/pellet KNO3 into my kalk top off water, as my tank consistently tests 0 for nitrates. I have to refill the kalk ato container about every 5 days. . I COULD set another jug up off my doser but I have plans for that head other than this.

Thanks reef Chem gurus.

Lsufan
06/29/2017, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't put anything other then kalk in my ato container. I would want the water as pure as possible so things don't start to grow in the container.

Btw, I'm definitely no reef Chem guru so one of those guys may say it's ok. I would want it as pure as possible so u have no bacteria or algea that starts to take form in the ato container

ClownNut
06/29/2017, 08:44 PM
you should be fine.
Ca(OH)2 is insoluble and KNO3 is very soluble. i dont think it will grow any algae since the pH will keep that from happening.

bertoni
06/30/2017, 04:53 AM
I'm not sure what the solubility of calcium nitrate or potassium nitrate might be at high pH, but I'd likely give it a shot. I agree that the high pH will prevent any significant amount of growth in the container.

tmz
06/30/2017, 10:42 AM
Many elements precipitate out of calcium hydroxide solution (kalk) which is why it's often described as self purifying. They settle to the bottom of the reservoir. I'm just not sure if supplements for nitrate and/or potassium could be effectively dosed that way.

Since, I consider cosntancy in alk a key for many corals and kalk is the main source in my system , I dose kalk independent of other additives and top off flow via a perstalltic pump form a still reservoir.

FWIW, when I want to tweak nitrate,once every 10 days or so, to barely detectable per salifert ,a very small amount of sodium nitrate( 1tsp for the 700 gallon system ) does to the sump high flow area i is sufficient .

GAM GAM
07/04/2017, 01:56 AM
I add my KN03 to my vinegar container for P04 reduction. I maintain 5-10 ppm N03 and keeps P04 at zero without GFO.

tmz
07/04/2017, 10:20 AM
While ,IMO, it's possible and even plausible that nitrogen additions via NO3 may increase PO4 uptake by organisms otherwise limited by a nitrogen deficiency, the 5ppm to 10 ppm level can be hard on some corals,friendly to nuisance algae and seems unnecessarily high. For my heavily fed system with carbon dosing , keeping NO3 detectable but less than 1ppm( per Salifert test kit) produces good color and growth . PO4 stays low in the 0.02ppm to 0.04ppm range ( per hanah colorimeter) without gfo.

I prefer to dose sodium nitrate given the potential for potassium buildup with KNO3.

ClownNut
07/04/2017, 11:39 AM
most people run into NO3 limited are doing carbon dosing, which can lead to low K. KNO3 should be a better pick to use for that reason.

tmz
07/05/2017, 09:29 AM
It may be so in some cases ; but it's more precise to dose potassium chloride directly if there is a need rater than tying it to NO3 and/ or kalk. In my experience, dosing organic carbon for over 8 years, there isn't a need to dose K . A lot comes in with food and from salt mixes.