PDA

View Full Version : Any way to treat hermit crabs during/after quarantine?

pacificdiver
06/28/2017, 05:48 PM
Is there a safe way to preventatively eradicate non-obligate parasites (such as uronema) on hermits, snails, chaeto, etc?

I've had a group of hermits and snails in QT for 9 weeks, so they should be clear of ich and velvet, but what about uronema and other infections that don't require a fish host? Is there anything I can treat the invert QT with to eradicate any leftovers that have survived the 9 wk fallow period? It seems like all the available treatments, CP, copper, formalin, etc, cannot be used with inverts.

I know I might seem overly paranoid, but I suffered (actually, I should say the fish suffered) a 100% loss due to presumed velvet several months ago, and I'm determined to never experience that again. The culprit was either a ball of chaeto or a conch, who is still happily motoring around the sand bed, hence my concern.

Thanks in advance.

scuzy
06/28/2017, 06:51 PM
I don't think there is a such thing. I just do extended quarantine and press my luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scooter31707
06/29/2017, 01:01 PM
72-90 days is the time needed, not 9 weeks. 9 weeks is only 63 days.

pacificdiver
06/29/2017, 06:09 PM
72-90 days is the time needed, not 9 weeks. 9 weeks is only 63 days.

I was using the 9 week figure in reference to ich-related fallow period seen in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041951). I believe 11 weeks is necessary to be 99.9% certain that all stages would be gone, but the 3 standard deviations gets you to 99.7% at 9wks, which is close enough for me, at least.

My concern is the possibility that something non-host-dependant, like uronema, could hitch a ride and simply wait out the fallow period, since it does not require a host.

Am I being paranoid here?

scooter31707
06/30/2017, 08:21 AM
I was using the 9 week figure in reference to ich-related fallow period seen in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2041951). I believe 11 weeks is necessary to be 99.9% certain that all stages would be gone, but the 3 standard deviations gets you to 99.7% at 9wks, which is close enough for me, at least.

My concern is the possibility that something non-host-dependant, like uronema, could hitch a ride and simply wait out the fallow period, since it does not require a host.

Am I being paranoid here?

When you brought them where they in a tank with fish? I am lucky enough to have a LFS that keep there snails/crabs and coral in a separate tank away from fish and on a different filtration system.

pacificdiver
06/30/2017, 10:58 AM
When you brought them where they in a tank with fish? I am lucky enough to have a LFS that keep there snails/crabs and coral in a separate tank away from fish and on a different filtration system.

I have to assume not, unfortunately. My LFS specializes in selling disease-infested fish, and they're better at it than anyone I've ever encountered, so I have to purchase all my livestock online. I'd pay 3X as much for a cleanup crew that came from a purely fallow system - no question.

scooter31707
06/30/2017, 12:23 PM
I would go at least the 90 days to eliminate almost everything. Only worry would be uronema. Just have to pray and keep your fingers cross.

Smokey Stover
06/30/2017, 01:53 PM
I have to assume not, unfortunately. My LFS specializes in selling disease-infested fish, and they're better at it than anyone I've ever encountered, so I have to purchase all my livestock online. I'd pay 3X as much for a cleanup crew that came from a purely fallow system - no question.

Same here, Well one of them anyways lol. I asked the same question about Macro Algae, Pretty much got the same answers.
However I contacted K&P and they keep inverts and macro algae seperate from fishes. Plus they sent a few extra hermits just in case any didn't survive. They all have.
Will be ordering more from them.

Oh, and I got a cool little Oddball Ricordia that is looking good, Lime green and purple.

pacificdiver
06/30/2017, 03:23 PM
Same here, Well one of them anyways lol. I asked the same question about Macro Algae, Pretty much got the same answers.
However I contacted K&P and they keep inverts and macro algae seperate from fishes. Plus they sent a few extra hermits just in case any didn't survive. They all have.
Will be ordering more from them.

Oh, and I got a cool little Oddball Ricordia that is looking good, Lime green and purple.

Yeah, I think in practical terms, there's no way to trust any vendor, even if they claim it's a fishless system. All it takes is someone to have a hand/arm in a contaminated tank, who then sticks that hand/arm into the "fishless" system, and there's your infestation.