PDA

View Full Version : curing live rock

SFish
06/28/2017, 06:32 PM
Would a new kids swimming pool be safe to do this in?

Pond Boy
06/29/2017, 05:51 AM
I'm sure it would but I think a rubber maid tote would be better for the simple fact it's better made less chance of puncturing a hole moving things around.

How much rock are you planing on getting?

mcgyvr
06/29/2017, 07:25 AM
yes any plastic container is fine..
Never a bad idea to give anything a quick vinegar/water wash down..

SFish
06/29/2017, 08:04 AM
I'm sure it would but I think a rubber maid tote would be better for the simple fact it's better made less chance of puncturing a hole moving things around.

How much rock are you planing on getting?

The problem isn't the amount but the size of the rock. I look at totes and couldn't find one long enough. The rock it self is 32" long. I'll give Walmart a go and see if they have a longer tote. I was figuring a small kids pool would be pretty cheap to pick up but it would take a lot of water to fill. If you know of a place I can get something that long for cheap let me know.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/29/2017, 08:10 AM
How creative do you want to be in order to save on water? You could use cinder blocks to outline a channel just bigger than the rock, and then drape pool liner or heavy plastic over the blocks to create a vat just the shape/size you need.

Or just use the kiddie pool. I'm assuming you mean the hard plastic type, not the inflatable ones.

SFish
06/29/2017, 08:11 AM
yes any plastic container is fine..
Never a bad idea to give anything a quick vinegar/water wash down..

So even the stuff they claim can leach into water is fine to use?

mcgyvr
06/29/2017, 09:30 AM
So even the stuff they claim can leach into water is fine to use?

Most if not all of the "leach" stories are just BS or blown way out of proportion.
A pool is just fine.. Just wash it well and enjoy..

SFish
06/29/2017, 11:19 AM
How creative do you want to be in order to save on water? You could use cinder blocks to outline a channel just bigger than the rock, and then drape pool liner or heavy plastic over the blocks to create a vat just the shape/size you need.

Or just use the kiddie pool. I'm assuming you mean the hard plastic type, not the inflatable ones.

That is not a bad idea. What I'm really doing is dechlorinating the rock I gave it a bleach bath so I just want something cheap. Actually that's perfect because I want cinder blocks for my mixing station so that will be two fold.

Your the man!

Thanks

der_wille_zur_macht
06/29/2017, 12:53 PM
Do you have a second bathroom with a tub in it? If you just need to do a fresh water soak you could put it in the tub for a few days.

This is probably not a good idea if you're married

SFish
06/29/2017, 01:17 PM
Do you have a second bathroom with a tub in it? If you just need to do a fresh water soak you could put it in the tub for a few days.

This is probably not a good idea if you're married

Basement has a drain so no problem there.