PDA

View Full Version : 2-part dosing confusion

kayraw
06/29/2017, 01:14 AM
So I'm supposed to be dosing in equal parts but my tank seems to be using a lot more alkilinity than calcium.

My tank is 100ltrs and I'm currently dosing 12mls of alkilinity and only 5mls of calcium per night which maintains my alk at 9dkh and cal at 450ppm and I'm using reeflowers 2-part supplements.

These levels seem perfect but I don't understand why I'm adding more alkilinity if corals use these supplements in equal parts.

I've noticed that coralline algae never seems to grow in my tank so something must be out of balance but I'm not sure what I can do to rectify it if my parameters are where they're supposed to be?

dollarPit
06/29/2017, 07:54 AM
Couple things for you to check from my own experience with similar problem. First you may be dosing excess ALK just to maintain the value due to precipitation that is occurring. Problem may actually be CA is too high and you are chasing balance. Try stopping the CA dose and also lower the ALK dose slightly and if you observe CA coming down and ALK maintain or even start rising. If it starts moving into balance them start adding increments of CA back and also lower ALK if you are measuring balance. Heres the deep dive article you can reference. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

With a small tank an accurate dose is critical. I've had success using BRS dowsing pumps connected to RKL controller dosing ESv b-ionic in balance.

One more thing to check. Maybe you are in balance but your Alk settled out of the solution in your container. Use a straw to feel bottom of container for solids, if found then dissolve by placing sealed container in bucket of warm water then shanking vigorously. Do this every time you get a new bottle or mix your own.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

zsuman101
06/29/2017, 09:15 AM
I had same problem, dosing equal amounts is the key .alkalinifty and calcium are used equally, if you continue to dose different amounts it will only cause more problems ie.precipitation. most testing kits aren't going to give exactl amounts of either so using 25 ppm alk and 25 ppm ca may not show. So continuing to dose different amounts you will keep moving out of balance. If it were me , I would start with a few 20%water changes in a week's time then start testing and go from there using equal amounts of both. Good luck zsu

hubble
06/29/2017, 11:09 AM
https://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/the-right-way-to-use-2-part-additives/

Potatohead
06/29/2017, 11:11 AM
What people seem to forget is that it's very likely the solutions are not mixed at the same concentration, so dosing the same amount of liquid may not mean you are dosing the same amount of salts.

Martin Kuhn
06/30/2017, 08:00 AM
+1 potatohead

Also
- forget what you see as "disbalanced dosing". (It doesn't really matter !)
- much better take care That your Tanks Ca/Alk value are and stay balanced. If one of the values is too high, stop or at least decrease this dosing

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

bertoni
07/01/2017, 06:24 AM
Assuming the two-part is mixed correctly, the tank likely is consuming equal amounts of both, but it'll take a long time for a drop in the calcium level to show up because there's so much more of it than there is of alkalinity, in terms of forming calcium carbonate. Water changes can be enough to keep the calcium level up in a fair number of systems, and your tank's consumption rate is fairly small. My 80 l (or so) system used more than twice that, and got Kalk as well.

Zik
07/01/2017, 10:51 PM
I would reference a Randy article to be sure on exact numbers but if I recall correctly dkh and calcium or used equally at a ratio of 2.8 dkh to 20 PPM calcium roughly.

Let's say you're only raising .2 dkh per equal dose in reality that's less than 2 PPM of calcium per dose as well so it's going to be hardly noticeable and difficult to see on a test kit