PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

bauyer9
06/29/2017, 06:46 AM
My tank is not doing well at all. I didn't have the proper test kits for a while and finally got them in. I'm having problems with my tank and I don't know why! 45 gallon JBJ reef tank. Always use RO/DI. I have never dose anything in this tank, just the weekly water changes. Running for 8 months. I did the usual cycle process, added some fish and coral, everything was doing really well and growing good. 2 months ago I started having major cyano and very minor green hair algae. I've done weekly water changes from day 1. A month ago some of the corals started to look bad. No most of them are dead, the ones that aren't are shriveled and never opens back up. Here's my parameters as of last night.
Alk 7.8 DKH
Calcium 650
Phosphate 0
Salinity refractometer 1.028 Apex says 35.8
Nitrite 0
PH 8.3 Apex says 8.01
Nitrate 5
Ammonia 0

I also tested a fresh batch of salt water
Alk 9.6
Calcium 450
Phosphate 0
Salinity 1.025
Magnesium, still not getting a reading
How can I bring everything back, how do I get my parameters back to normal...help pleaseeee

chevegan
06/30/2017, 08:17 AM
couple questions.

"Calcium 650"? that a typo?

Salinity is a tad high for my taste. 8 months you say? Have you changed the ro filters at all? not the membrane the pre filters

hmm, I personally would take out my equipment one at a time and do a thorough cleaning of them inspecting them for cracks, rust etc. Also something similar happened to a friend of mine. Turns out his wife cleaned the glass not long after putting lotion on her hands.

I would suspect some sort of chemical infiltration for it to be happening that fast. Something from the air like cleaning solutions or bug sprays used near by? I'm really sorry, it's never fun going through something like that.

chevegan
06/30/2017, 08:18 AM
if you're not running carbon start immediately and if you are change it out

Randy27
07/03/2017, 03:08 AM
I agree, sounds like something got introduced. Did you drop a fist full of pennies in there? Lol. I'd first check that rodi for dissolved solids.

bertoni
07/03/2017, 01:57 PM
Some activated carbon and a PolyFilter might be a good idea. They will remove metals, which seem to cause a reasonable number of tank problems. The parameters you list are all safe enough, although I might lower the SG to 1.0264, after verifying the accuracy of the devices. SG 1.028 and 35.8 psu (ppt) don't match up, if we're using the more common aquarium scales and calibrations.

Deezill
07/03/2017, 07:37 PM
Is anything dying? I agree with the other RC peeps. Get a filter sock and some GAC.
I probably would not start chasing numbers until you get a filter sock and lower the salinity
a tad.

Deezill
07/03/2017, 07:43 PM
I agree, sounds like something got introduced. Did you drop a fist full of pennies in there? Lol. I'd first check that rodi for dissolved solids.

When I saw this i could not do anything but just laugh. I almost had tears this was funny.
Thanks I needed that. lol.