PDA

View Full Version : Live rock going bad?

zeroply
06/29/2017, 09:24 AM
I had heavy algae on my live rock, and tank was really dirty after a crash, so I decided to rearrange everything. I took all the live rock out and put into two bins along with enough water to cover them. I put a heater in each bin, but only did that a couple of days after removing the live rock, because the house is at 76-79 degrees.

The live rock has been out of the tank for about a week now. One of the bins started smelling really bad (like sewage), and the live rock got a gray slimy coating on a lot of it. The other bin is starting to do that now. Is this surface algae dying off, and is it safe to clean the live rock and put it back in the tank?

ZC

mcgyvr
06/29/2017, 09:27 AM
Its stagnant.. Get some powerheads in there and see how it goes does.. Should clear up.
Its more than likely fine to use it..

zeroply
06/29/2017, 02:55 PM
Its stagnant.. Get some powerheads in there and see how it goes does.. Should clear up.
Its more than likely fine to use it..

Thanks - I've finally got the sand bed settled, so I'm going to start putting the live rock back in the tank today. I'll brush it thoroughly before putting it in.

heathlindner25
06/29/2017, 03:05 PM
I believe you will have a massive cycle .

abrooks12376
06/29/2017, 03:37 PM
The ocean never sits still, I can't see adding the rock back so soon being a good thing?? I'd get it turbulent and see how it smells in a week?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MurphyLong
06/30/2017, 11:20 AM
My money is on a cycle too. Once things are smelling funky, it's usually die-off.

patiof
06/30/2017, 11:30 AM
i wouldn't put the rocks bank in your display until they smelled good.

a week or too in moving water should do the trick, maybe a water change halfway through. not to mention put them in new saltwater to start.

shellsea
06/30/2017, 11:36 AM
i wouldn't put the rocks bank in your display until they smelled good.

a week or too in moving water should do the trick, maybe a water change halfway through. not to mention put them in new saltwater to start.

Plus 1 on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neoh74
07/02/2017, 07:54 PM
Non moving water creates a cesspool. Bad bacteria. Have to have water movement. You will have another cycle unless you cycle in the bins.