PDA

View Full Version : mysterious sudden drop in PH

f3honda4me
06/29/2017, 09:54 AM
So last night we had a power outage right about 7:15pm or so. It was short, lasted maybe 1 minute and then the power came back on.

At that same time my apex PH probe noted a sudden large drop in PH over the course of the next hour or two. I am scratching my head as to why. I have verified with an API PH test kit that the PH is in fact this low (7.4) as of now. The PH is slowly climbing back up. Before this my PH never goes below about 7.7 and that is overnight when all lights are off. (normly nightly "swing")

I checked for stray voltage with a multimeter and only get 1.2v AC which is what my multimeter always reads in my tank.

Any other ideas to check? I am not running any dosing, except I have a kalk reactor inline with my ATO and the kalk reactor is running normally, there is kalk I can see undissolved in the bottom, the pump runs 5 times a day 10 minutes each time. My water level is normal, right at the sensor level of my ATK. My alkalinity is at 8.2 dkh, and was at 7.8 dkh the day before. No other changes made to the tank. My water change is a constant change system using DOS pumps, they come on every 10 minutes and replace about 120ml of water. I checked my WC water reservoir and it's 8.0 ph with 8.5dkh.

After the outage all equipment came back on as normal, skimmer, ATS, all powerheads.

Ideas?

http://imgur.com/1Xxf1GG.jpg

tvu
06/29/2017, 10:10 AM
Might be an increase in CO2 in the house. If you have lots of people over the CO2 will rise in the house and a drop of ph will be a consequence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tvu
06/29/2017, 10:11 AM
Might be an increase in CO2 in the house. For example - If you have lots of people over the CO2 will rise in the house and a drop of ph will be a consequence

Kurt03
06/29/2017, 10:15 AM
Did the probe get submerged?

f3honda4me
06/29/2017, 10:33 AM
Did the probe get submerged?

If the return pump stops the water level gets higher on the probe than normal but never above where the top "seal" meets the body of the probe where the black cap and wire go in. That said I checked with a PH test kit and it lines up with the PH probe.

f3honda4me
06/29/2017, 10:34 AM
Might be an increase in CO2 in the house. If you have lots of people over the CO2 will rise in the house and a drop of ph will be a consequence

We didn't have any guests over. My aquarium and fish room are in my basement and I can't think of anything that has changed down there in quite a while. But thanks for the suggestion!

tmz
06/29/2017, 10:44 AM
No reason I can think of given a very brief outage and cross check with a test kit.

f3honda4me
06/29/2017, 11:01 AM
No reason I can think of given a very brief outage and cross check with a test kit.

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one scratching my head lol!

f3honda4me
06/29/2017, 11:02 AM
I just realized I forgot to mention, I have a c02 scrubber on the airline of my skimmer and it looks like the media is exhausted. I wouldn't think that would have caused such a huge drop but maybe? Before the c02 scrubber my PH was only about .10-.20 lower at most, still nowhere near 7.20.

f3honda4me
06/29/2017, 01:07 PM
Well looks like it was some temporary issue with the PH probe, and my API ph test is garbage lol. My PH suddenly read 7.9 from 7.4 instantly after I took the probe out and rinsed it off and blew gunk out of it.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!