PDA

View Full Version : Help: Biocube 32 hoodless....Suicide. :(

Jenyphur
06/29/2017, 03:56 PM
Ok, so that didn't work out as planned. I have taken the hood off and am using AI Prime HD (which I love). Sadly, this morning I woke up to 1 of my clownfish on the ground. :( They typically sleep near the top so I am thinking something scared him to jump out of the tank. UGHGHHGHG.

So for those of you that have gone hoodless (or rimless) what are you doing to keep your fish in? Mesh, glass? I am so sad and really don't want to lose another fish.

Jen

JVan82
06/29/2017, 03:59 PM
Get some egg crate from lowes or home depot that what I use for a cover

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

joesig
06/29/2017, 04:16 PM
Get some egg crate from lowes or home depot that what I use for a cover

Order some 1/4 mesh from BRS and a diy screen kit at homedepot. Thats what most of us do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVan82
06/29/2017, 04:18 PM
Artfully acrylic makes acrylic and mesh lids also

fishdip22
06/29/2017, 05:13 PM
You could put a 1/16th acrylic top on it.

TOOMANYFISH
06/29/2017, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear, I would've sworn I'd be reading this about your dart fish

Majority_Rules
06/30/2017, 10:56 PM
Definitely do a diy cover using mesh from BRS.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

JonCubb
07/02/2017, 10:40 AM
I too run a hoodless BC with a prime HD. While I love it, I did have a fire fish commit suicide a month or two after I took the hood off. At first I had no clue what happened, I was walking out of the neighboring room and saw a flash of blue light and a loud crack/bang. I freaked because the light and sound of it sounded something like large electrical short I often deal with at work. I started checking circuits and outlets in the house, of course found nothing. No idea what it was?

Then a couple days later I was cleaning around my tank and found my firefish all crispy on the ground. I guess the little guy took a full speed jump directly into the Prime HD which caused the flash of light and the un-unnervingly loud crack sound. First jumper I ever had. From now on, I will cover my tanks if I have anything that poses even a small risk of jumping.

That being said, As said above, Artfully Acryclic makes VERY nice custom mesh lids. They are a somewhat Local Shop that I frequent, very cool guys there. If they are out of your price range, You could just make a mesh frame with the kit from BRS, or a screen door kit from Home Depot or Lowe's.

corallover00
07/02/2017, 10:28 PM
I bought the diy kit from BRS and built the mesh screen. It's always a good idea to have the screen as accidents DO happened.

Jenyphur
07/04/2017, 05:53 PM
Thank you for all of the great feedback, my lfs is actually building one for me for temp purposes but I think I'm going to go with the Artfully acrylic one...they are sharp looking and I really want to have a feeding panel.

tmc1313
07/05/2017, 07:53 AM
What I did was to keep the stock hood and cut a hole in the top. This has worked for me in many ways. It keeps the stock look of the tank, has kept fish from jumping out because all sides are still protected and the hole in the top is elevated pretty far above water level.
Here's how it looks from the top.
https://s19.postimg.org/i1pb2jn1b/20170705_094527.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/i1pb2jn1b/)

TOOMANYFISH
07/05/2017, 12:26 PM
What I did was to keep the stock hood and cut a hole in the top. This has worked for me in many ways. It keeps the stock look of the tank, has kept fish from jumping out because all sides are still protected and the hole in the top is elevated pretty far above water level.
Here's how it looks from the top.
https://s19.postimg.org/i1pb2jn1b/20170705_094527.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/i1pb2jn1b/)

How low is that light to the hood? Is it flush to the top? I have a munchkin and don't want light spilling into her eyes

tmc1313
07/05/2017, 08:18 PM
There is no light spill. It's not flush, but pretty close. I'd say an inch above the cutout.