PDA

View Full Version : New to nano's

mx51
07/01/2017, 11:40 PM
I have a 75 gallon reef tank, and my wife wanted a nano for our bedroom. So we bought a jbj 28 gallon nano cube yesterday. It was wondering what everyone is using in there media baskets and what upgrades i should look at before firing this baby up. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. But im sure we want LPS not sure if we will go sps yet but it's a possibility...... Thank you for any advice

Danny_15
07/01/2017, 11:47 PM
I run 1 koralia circulation pump, they are super quiet. And a hob fluval not sure what it is but i think its 30-50 gallons. And i recomend you get the best light to grow sps cause trust me you are gonna want to later and you are gonna regret it. I have fluval bio media, fluval carbon, seachem phosguard, and a sponge. I have no overflow or sump or skimmer, and yet i still grow and maintian healthy sps in my 10 gallon nano reef with weekly 2 gallon water changes.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

mx51
07/01/2017, 11:58 PM
I'm thinking I might put a radion 15 on for lights I have a brand new one in my closet that I bought a couple years ago for a nano that I never did. But like I said I have never done a nano so I'm curious what everyone is using for equipment? Should I put a skimmer on it? Do you need one? Should I upgrade the return pumps? It came with a uvserilizer. Not sure what to run in the media baskets.

mx51
07/02/2017, 12:00 AM
I was also thinking of putting a mp10 on it is 1 good or should I put 2 on it thanks for any help

journeyman
07/02/2017, 07:33 AM
I have a Solana 34g. I took the media out of the back chambers and made it a fuge for chaeto. You'll need a skimmer for lps and spend. I got an aquamaxx hob skimmer that hangs in the back behind my fuge area.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

TOOMANYFISH
07/02/2017, 08:20 AM
I'd probably upgrade the return pump add skimmer remove stock sponges and media and look into purigen filter floss and chemi blue. I only run purigen. I do have a fuge and media basket from intank. I dose vodka religiously. One thing to keep in mind since I also downgraded is , bigger tanks swing the parameters a lot less than a nano. Couple extra drops of something can throw you off a lot.
I agree on getting the best light.
Also nobody ever talks about this, choose your salt mix wisely since it'll probably be your alk cal and mag supplement via water changes and you if don't want hi alk system, get something low in alk already. Easier to add than to subtract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mx51
07/02/2017, 07:27 PM
I'd probably upgrade the return pump add skimmer remove stock sponges and media and look into purigen filter floss and chemi blue. I only run purigen. I do have a fuge and media basket from intank. I dose vodka religiously. One thing to keep in mind since I also downgraded is , bigger tanks swing the parameters a lot less than a nano. Couple extra drops of something can throw you off a lot.
I agree on getting the best light.
Also nobody ever talks about this, choose your salt mix wisely since it'll probably be your alk cal and mag supplement via water changes and you if don't want hi alk system, get something low in alk already. Easier to add than to subtract

Thank you for the replies. What should I look at to upgrade the return Pumps? How often you you change out your purigen filter floss? I have always ran reef crystals is there a different salt I should look at?

ange062
07/03/2017, 01:30 AM
Thank you for the replies. What should I look at to upgrade the return Pumps? How often you you change out your purigen filter floss? I have always ran reef crystals is there a different salt I should look at?
The XR15 would be a great light on this tank. Upgrade pumps to Eheim compact 600's (slightly lower flow) or use the 1000's. The 1000's have a 5/8" output though, so you will have to use a 1-2" piece of 5/8" Lee's tubing then insert their 1/2" into that tubing and run to your return. Works great on my tank. AquaMaxx Hob-1 skimmer is a great fit also, and TLF150 reactors for GAC or GFO (or both). Also check out the InTank media basket, it's FAR superior to the stock unit. Filter floss will have to be changed every couple of days. I personally like RedSea Coral Pro salt.

Check out the NC28 owners thread or my old building thread, tons of good info out there on this tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mx51
07/04/2017, 09:57 AM
The XR15 would be a great light on this tank. Upgrade pumps to Eheim compact 600's (slightly lower flow) or use the 1000's. The 1000's have a 5/8" output though, so you will have to use a 1-2" piece of 5/8" Lee's tubing then insert their 1/2" into that tubing and run to your return. Works great on my tank. AquaMaxx Hob-1 skimmer is a great fit also, and TLF150 reactors for GAC or GFO (or both). Also check out the InTank media basket, it's FAR superior to the stock unit. Filter floss will have to be changed every couple of days. I personally like RedSea Coral Pro salt.

Check out the NC28 owners thread or my old building thread, tons of good info out there on this tank.

Thank you for your reply bud... I started reading your build thread last night and will read it all the way through. Where do I find a in tank media basket? I looked on bulk reef supply but didn't have any luck finding one.

ange062
07/04/2017, 10:17 AM
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/ is the place. I've run their stuff in a handfull of different tanks (JBJ, Fluval, AquaClear, etc) and always a great product.

mx51
07/04/2017, 11:30 AM
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/ is the place. I've run their stuff in a handfull of different tanks (JBJ, Fluval, AquaClear, etc) and always a great product.

Thank you for the link. Do you no anything about the nano box large led retrofit Kit? The reason I ask is I can put my radion on the tank but then would loose the hood, I would rather keep the hood I possible. Do you no if they are decent lights?

Robjrussell
07/04/2017, 12:04 PM
I was also thinking of putting a mp10 on it is 1 good or should I put 2 on it thanks for any help

I'm about to start a 20 and was thinking about a mp10 as well. Thought it might be overkill- sorry to hijack but anyone have thoughts?

Look forward to seeing what you do with your 28 mx

mx51
07/04/2017, 12:28 PM
I'm about to start a 20 and was thinking about a mp10 as well. Thought it might be overkill- sorry to hijack but anyone have thoughts?

Look forward to seeing what you do with your 28 mx

No worries bud, we can learn together. I think the mp10 is perfect for these tanks. You can adjust the flow on them. When I redo my 75 gallon tank I'm going to put 2 mp40's on it

ange062
07/04/2017, 01:15 PM
I don't know anything about the retrofit, I just went straight to the Radion. And an MP10 is perfect for this tank, I have 2 of them in my RL30 which is just about the same size.

mx51
07/04/2017, 01:40 PM
I don't know anything about the retrofit, I just went straight to the Radion. And an MP10 is perfect for this tank, I have 2 of them in my RL30 which is just about the same size.

So did you use a screen in place of the hood? I had a firefish and a pink spotted watchman goby jump out of my 75 gallon so I am now a firm beliver in screens or something on the top

Robjrussell
07/04/2017, 01:46 PM
No worries bud, we can learn together. I think the mp10 is perfect for these tanks. You can adjust the flow on them. When I redo my 75 gallon tank I'm going to put 2 mp40's on it

I just grabbed an ecodrift and looks like it could be a good fit. That 240 price tag is a tough pill to swallow for a pump.. hoping the reviews are accurate.

mx51
07/05/2017, 02:42 PM
I just grabbed an ecodrift and looks like it could be a good fit. That 240 price tag is a tough pill to swallow for a pump.. hoping the reviews are accurate.

What company makes that one?

Robjrussell
07/05/2017, 02:45 PM
What company makes that one?

Aqua Medic

ange062
07/05/2017, 02:56 PM
So did you use a screen in place of the hood? I had a firefish and a pink spotted watchman goby jump out of my 75 gallon so I am now a firm beliver in screens or something on the top
I left the NC28 open, might have had a jumper or two but it wasn't terrible because the water level was a decent but below the top of the tank. The RL30 I keep egg crate cut to size on top because the water comes to within .25-.5" of top of tank making it easy for even a snail the crawl out.

mx51
07/05/2017, 04:28 PM
Aqua Medic

You will have to let me know how it works I don't know anything about that pump.

mx51
07/05/2017, 04:29 PM
I left the NC28 open, might have had a jumper or two but it wasn't terrible because the water level was a decent but below the top of the tank. The RL30 I keep egg crate cut to size on top because the water comes to within .25-.5" of top of tank making it easy for even a snail the crawl out.

I might just order a screen kit from bulk reef supply. Hopefully I can get it close to the same shape of the tank

TOOMANYFISH
07/05/2017, 04:36 PM
I run the large nanobox retro plus.
It'll grow anything you want. That said I hate LED's lol
So much to choose from setting it up that takes forever

mx51
07/05/2017, 05:13 PM
I run the large nanobox retro plus.
It'll grow anything you want. That said I hate LED's lol
So much to choose from setting it up that takes forever

I agree with you 100% I have T5's on my big tank and if I wouldn't for get to change the bulbs every year I would leave them on, but I always forget so I will be replacing them with led's.