PDA

View Full Version : From randy's recipe 2 to aquaforest components 1+2+3+

Scarface8
07/02/2017, 05:15 AM
Hi guys, so for a couple of years I've been using randy's recipe 2, I used to run zeovit but some of its products have a ban or some sort of import restriction at the moment here in Australia.

What I want to know is, I used to dose 36ml cal, 36ml alk, and 3ml mag of randy's recipe 2. By my calcs I need to dose 38ml of each of aquaforests components 1+ 2+ 3+.

By your experiences does this sound about right?

I basically calculated my consumption of cal and all using randy's, then calculated how much to dose using aquaforests call from their specs of 50ml per 100l raises "x" by "z"ppm

Ron Reefman
07/02/2017, 05:30 AM
Sorry, I was going to ask a question, but changed my mind.

bertoni
07/02/2017, 03:00 PM
The data at their web site seems to indicate that their solutions are about the same as the recipe 2, so your numbers seem right to me.

Scarface8
07/02/2017, 05:48 PM
The data at their web site seems to indicate that their solutions are about the same as the recipe 2, so your numbers seem right to me.

Yeah that's what I was hoping, I put all 3 on my doser yesterday and took measurements of my cal, alk, and mag, I will have to test on a daily basis for now without topping up any to see how it works out, 🤞

Martin Kuhn
07/03/2017, 01:34 AM
The Ca part is absolutely identical and the Alk part is nearly equal to Randy's #2
-> dosage: Ca also 36ml an Alk also 36ml

Different to Randy's recipe #2, Aqua-Forest doesn't specify a "usage orientated dosage" of Mg. Also they don't clearly tell users what is inside Component 3+, but it is very likely that it contains also Mg besides other traces-> Stick to what AF tells you here (50ml per each 100L watervolume a day).

Scarface8
07/03/2017, 04:23 PM
The Ca part is absolutely identical and the Alk part is nearly equal to Randy's #2

-> dosage: Ca also 36ml an Alk also 36ml

Different to Randy's recipe #2, Aqua-Forest doesn't specify a "usage orientated dosage" of Mg. Also they don't clearly tell users what is inside Component 3+, but it is very likely that it contains also Mg besides other traces-> Stick to what AF tells you here (50ml per each 100L watervolume a day).

Yeah they say to dose all 3 components equally eg 38ml of each, I just don't want to severely overdose or under dose, as there are other trace elements in those components, I was a little busy last night to do any water testing, everything seems to be ok though, I'm just keeping an eye on my ph through apex fusion, will do my tests as soon as get back from work and will post any changes here

Martin Kuhn
07/03/2017, 10:49 PM
The thing is the same as with all others recipes that "tell you" that you need equal doses of all of them.
They "seem to be" easier to use.

The fixed dosing plan might, but must not fit to your tanks consumption. Also this might or not fit to how you change your Ca Alk Mg values by waterchanges (affected by salt mixture.

In my eyes It is clearly better to "not simply stick" to a equal dosing plan BUT adapt this plan in case of any of the values (Ca Alk Mg) gets to high OR low.

Don't forget 3+ is most likely a lot of water A little Mg and maybe some other trace elements.

Scarface8
07/04/2017, 05:01 AM
So I've done my tests tonight, wasn't dosing anywhere near enough, for the last 2 days I was dosing 38ml per day, I have now changed that to 75ml ml per day, pretty much doubled, keep in mind I did have to sometimes top up my levels when I was using randy's, so tonight I have topped up my levels and wait about an hour or so and retest, then wait for another 2 days and retest to see how it goes, thanks for the help guys, I will keep this updated

bertoni
07/04/2017, 02:08 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. Please keep us posted! Is the tank doing well?

Scarface8
07/04/2017, 03:33 PM
Hmm, that's interesting. Please keep us posted! Is the tank doing well?

So far everything is good, mind you I only started dosing these components 123 on Sunday afternoon, it's now Wednesday morning here, time will tell, just got to keep checking my levels and adjust accordingly. I will keep you posted

Scarface8
07/09/2017, 05:20 AM
Did my water tests today, if I remember correctly I upped the dosing Tuesday night, now it's Sunday night, after testing my water this afternoon, I've lost near 2dkh alk so I will be calculating out 2dkh over 5 days and adjusting up again on dosing, it's sort of hard to say whether it's because my calcs are off, if their products levels are off or if it's because growth in my tank has exploded, so far I've got more of a growth rate than I've ever had before (only 2years sps experience) but so far I'm loving the aquaforest method, easy as, and results are speaking for themselves

bertoni
07/09/2017, 03:20 PM
2 dKH over 5 days is a low consumption rate. My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day for years.

Scarface8
07/09/2017, 05:18 PM
2 dKH over 5 days is a low consumption rate. My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day for years.

I lost that much while dosing, and my tank isn't very big at all.

So I've now added another 15ml per day of each, for a total of 75ml of each per day, we'll see how that goes.

Because I brought the 3X 5litre containers, using 75ml per day should see those last around 66days