PDA

View Full Version : Another Duncan Frag Question (Bunching type)

BlueMoonFox
07/02/2017, 11:49 AM
I have been scouring the interweb looking for a decent answer. I have a bunching Duncan, the kind that doesn't form long, easily fragged stalks. It's maxed out it's current real estate. I would like to frag it and let it grow more but everything I have found says to cut the nonexistent stalk. Any experienced fraggers got an idea?

jccaclimber
07/02/2017, 02:34 PM
I'm mostly tagging along for the answer, but here's my experience and what I would do:
1) I've fragged branching duncans. Sometimes I've cut much closer to the heads than I'm comfortable with, but they always survive.
2) When fragging larger acans I've cut right through heads. Those heads often don't make it, but the ones around them do.
3) Given this, if it were me I'd take a diamond tool of your choice (Gryphon, Dremel rotary, etc.) and cut off whatever is too big. You'll lose a couple heads at the cut, but the remainder on both sides will live. I do wonder if a diamond tool an an oscillating cutter would let you core out a head.

jayball
07/06/2017, 11:19 AM
how many polyps is it at now? IME after they have grown out they will start to grow short stalks that you should be able to trim off (Although they will not trim easily.)

AlSimmons
07/10/2017, 09:46 AM
Picture?

Aresangel
07/14/2017, 07:31 AM
I am in the same boat. I have a 20 head Duncan. I don't want to trim it right now, but when I do I want to know how to cut it up without killing half of it. All of the heads are practically connected to the same stock. Does that mean all the roots are connected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk