PDA

View Full Version : butterfly aggression

moe103
07/02/2017, 01:48 PM
I have finished QTing a semilarvatus. I tried adding him to my DT and my C. collare went psycho, chasing it around the tank. I was able to recapture the semilarvatus and have placed him in an acclimation box.

Is this normal behavior for butterflies? How long do I leave him in acclimation and when will I know its safe to let him out?

Thanks

caribfan
07/02/2017, 07:34 PM
It's tough to say and in my opinion, generally kind of a case by case scenario type of thing.

Butterflies are tricky, they typically tolerate non-conspecifics, but every now and you'll have one decide to be a jerk.

What size tank are these in? Is the acclimation box inside the DT? Have you tried putting a mirror up to keep the collare sidetracked with its own image?

moe103
07/02/2017, 09:36 PM
The tank is 210 gallons. I placed the box in the DT. Initially, the collare was trying to attack the box. After a few hours it left the semilavartus alone. I released it from the box. The collare is fine and now the auriga is chasing it. Interestingly, the collare is sort of protecting the semilavartus, moving in between the auriga and the semilarvatus.

I decided to try an early lights out. I'll check again in the morning and hope all is well.

caribfan
07/03/2017, 04:37 AM
Plenty of room in there, things should settle down after a bit.

I always try to feed my tanks a lot the first couple days after adding a fish. Seems like a good way to de-escalate aggression.

moe103
07/07/2017, 12:37 AM
Lights out did the trick. Everybody is friends and playing nicely.

Thanks Matt