PDA

View Full Version : Tank Reuse Prep / deep cleaning ?

Clowning_Around
07/02/2017, 04:46 PM
So I recently acquired another tank but I don't know what has been in it meaning chemicals, diseases etc. I suspect nothing but would rather error on the side of caution. So the question is then wats standard practice for thoroughly cleaning such a tank. If it was just mine or I knew the full history I'd just vinegar it. But im thinking perhaps bleach soak it for a few hours then baking soda it followed by a good rinse and air dry for a day. Thoughts/suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/02/2017, 04:50 PM
Oh forgot to mention im thinking like a 1:10 bleach diluted ratio

Clowning_Around
07/02/2017, 09:28 PM
Ok after googling and sifting through several sources Im2 feeling fairly comfortable with a direction to proceed with.

My findings:
Both bleach (when used correctly) and vinegar are safe but have a different function. The vinegar is a great cleaner, awesome for algae, calcium and similar crud. It can be used full strength if required and left for long soaks (days+) but its an acid not a disinfectant. Whereas bleach is the opposite, great for killing bacteria but not as much for general cleaning. Care should be used with it to not exceed a 10% (1:9) ratio and max soak time of 15 minutes, preferably 5. Additionally it should be rinsed thoroughly many times and allowed to air dry before object is put back into service. A declorinator similar to that used to treat tap water is recommended.

There was a lot of controversy over bleaches use but I found several great points, for its use. For example, its used in our water treatmnent plants while also being used by the cdc as the disinfectant for things like blood - point being when used at correct dosing, its safe. Another example, some reputible manufacturers with aquarium component cleaning instructions use bleach (for example my faux coral - signature coral) Other instructions include, dont let it rest on silicone lengthy durations and avoid contact with absorbtive materials like live rock/sand. Lastly, because of its ability to kill bacteria etc, it shouldnt be used where it could reset your cycle, like the live rock example above.

Well that's what I found amongst other tidbits I neglected to state. If you have any additional insight please feel free to chime in. I think I will be doing a bleach rinse tomorrow with some select vinegar scrubbing.

jfarris
07/03/2017, 12:25 PM
Following, about to restart my biocube

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

gabloo
07/03/2017, 06:48 PM
My vote is on vinegar. I cleaned almost all my used equipment with that.

Clowning_Around
07/03/2017, 10:47 PM
Well today I did my first part. I started with a short vinegar 50/50 soak, the bulkhead was gross I took it off contemplated ditching it but did 100% vinegar bath for an hour to see how it went, minimal scrub and like brand new. Next after my general vinegar cleaning i did a bleaching. I used a mist from a spray bottle at 1:9 ratio and let it sit 15 minutes timed on a stop watch. I followed with an immediate rinse, in fact 4x. Then i filled the tank with FW and let it sit for another 15 minutes to ensure full dilution. Emptied.and 1 more quick rinse. I've left it upside down now to fully air dry. Tommorrow. I'll fill it again tomorrow with more FW (all tap up to this point) and add my dechlorinator and let it sit for a few hours killing two birds - residual chlorine removal and for an extended leak test.

I feel pretty good about the result so far, some might even say overkill..

Going forward though I will use the vinegar for my general cleaning, especially on established parts. I was really impressed by how well it cut thr crude and a small glass cleaner test elsewhere in the house - no more windex in the house for me ill be using it for both the tanks glass and the rest of the house. 1gal of distilled white vinegar $2 making 2 gallons of really good enviromentally safe cleaner = no brainer.