PDA

View Full Version : Building a step into aquarium stand

Lvacordian
07/03/2017, 01:23 AM
I'm wanting to build my 200 gallon aquarium stand partially into the ledge of my fireplace's brick hearth. Its a 1 foot step up and the two feet of the stand will be resting on the hearth. My question is, will having a step up built into frame of the stand create structural issues for the tank? The stepped up part will be resting on the brick hearth of the fireplace. The tank is is 200 gallon 1/2 " thick acrylic 72"x18"x30".

MurphyLong
07/03/2017, 07:55 AM
Although it doesn't answer your question, you should be more concerned about the fireplace part. Airborne chemicals coming from the fireplace, not to mention heat will spell disaster for the tank.

Lvacordian
07/03/2017, 11:17 AM
I know what you mean. Any residual heat coming off the fireplace would also concern me. The fireplace will be an unusable once the tank is set up, but I estimate it's worth it.

MurphyLong
07/03/2017, 02:53 PM
With that said, as long as all 4 feet are on a SOLID and level surface, and the weight is distributed evenly, it should be fine.

I hate my fireplace too. Never use it.

pepcrylic
07/04/2017, 01:21 AM
If your acrylic tank is going to be 30'' tall you should seriously consider useing 3/4'' material.

davocean
07/04/2017, 10:11 AM
I would have your typical vertical supports at all 4 corners and where spans call for, but I would also have verts at the point where brick begins, and you may need to really make sure the verts sitting on brick are cut right length, as that brick will probably be uneven or have deviations.

The floor could flex or move differently from brick to open area, that would be my only thought, but probably not enough for concern and you are in CA so I'd guess unless an old house you are probably on slab, so should be no issue.

Lvacordian
07/04/2017, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. What about placing a pre-constructed stand onto a riser on the lowered part so that everything is even with brick. The attached picture shows the area. Basically the new aquarium will run the length of the brown cabinet plus 2 feet onto the brick hearthstone. Again the aquarium is 1/4 " acrylic and its 200 galloon so I'm concerned about the weight.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170704/852917a641f8e916087f18a892ac556e.jpg

Lsufan
07/04/2017, 01:35 PM
I think u will be fine & that is how I would probably do it. The only issue I could see is what Dave mentioned about the brick being uneven. I would probably make the box that the stand sits on top of just a little higher then the brick so u can shim it on top of the brick. That should take care of any unevenness on the brick.

With only the two rows of brick u would think the brick would be pretty solid.

sde1500
07/05/2017, 08:33 AM
I would not try and level a pre-constructed stand and make it fit partially on that. I feel like that is just tempting fate. I would DIY the whole stand, and make sure it is perfectly level.

ericarenee
07/05/2017, 07:07 PM
if you are no longer using the fireplace why not just remove the brick .

davocean
07/05/2017, 08:56 PM
I would not try and level a pre-constructed stand and make it fit partially on that. I feel like that is just tempting fate. I would DIY the whole stand, and make sure it is perfectly level.

It sounds like OP wants to build a platform and sit a stock stand on top of that, and I have actually done this for someone once, and it can be fine if done properly.

As to pulling brick out, I'd guess maybe not owned by OP or maybe they are thinking of fireplace and potential resale value maybe?

But my opinion, the encroachment and imbalance of it all would drive me nuts, and I agree I'd either pull the brick or go smaller tank, or relocate tank.

Lsufan
07/05/2017, 08:56 PM
I may have misunderstood but I took it as they where saying they would build the stand like u normally would, then build a seperate bottom frame for the tank to sit on that would bring it level with the brick. I don't see any issues in that. It's the same thing as if someone built a stand & realized they wanted it taller, u would build another bottom frame & basically sit the existing stand on top.

Removing the brick like ericarenee mentioned would probably be the best way but it may not be feasible for later down the road if the tank gets removed

Jonviviano
07/06/2017, 08:25 AM
Will look terrible and to many variables with the brick. Find a different location for the tank.