PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea Reefer 450 refugium

TangReefer
07/03/2017, 11:50 AM
Hi Guys,

Coming back to the hobby after a few years absent, I recently setup a Red Sea Reefer 450. I was looking into possibilities on how to make a refugium and I believe the best option would be to make a partition in the sump. Any recommendations on how to make this? Glass, acrylic? How to cut it? Any online shops I could buy the baffle ready?

Thanks for the help.

Celtic_Fox
07/03/2017, 01:17 PM
Any online shops I could buy the baffle ready?

Google "Reefdreams" or "Reefdreams reefer baffle"

TangReefer
07/04/2017, 02:45 AM
Google "Reefdreams" or "Reefdreams reefer baffle"

Thanks for the reply. Do you use this baffle yourself? I did take a look at the baffles and a few questions came up:

1. Would I be able to use miracle mud or a similar with this baffle, meaning the bottom will be sealed from the rest of the sump?

2. It says water will pass thru the algae first before going to the skimmer section. For a refugium, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Cheers.

Celtic_Fox
07/07/2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do you use this baffle yourself? I did take a look at the baffles and a few questions came up:

1. Would I be able to use miracle mud or a similar with this baffle, meaning the bottom will be sealed from the rest of the sump?

2. It says water will pass thru the algae first before going to the skimmer section. For a refugium, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Cheers.

I do not use that baffle myself, I've only seen it referenced in other posts and when I looked them up I liked the look and thought it quality. After seeing them I did think about cancelling my custom sump order (because I was going crazy trying to cram all sorts of capabilities into a small sump) and just simplifying my setup... But I'm a sucker for over-engineering things and stayed with my custom sump order.

1 - I don't know how well they seal, but you could probably contact the manufacturer about that. Also, some of the products similar miracle mud (but of a different name) use to come in narrow plastic trays that you could just place in your sump or refugium and then easily replace/exchange as their effectiveness waned. You could look for those competitor's products (if they are still around), or just find or build one or more containers with a solid bottom that you could drop in.

2 - Personal preference - people will argue either way. But yes, to me, it does seem like you would not want the skimmer taking out any of the good organics/food the refugium does put in the water column.

TangReefer
07/09/2017, 01:41 AM
Thank you very much for such complete answer.

Next time I go to the U.K. I'll I've this baffle a try and see if it works, just have to make sure it will allow space for my skimmer as it is oversized for extra bioload.

I've seen some of the competing brands to Miracle Mud, but not sure which one would be the one that comes in a tray. Forgive me as I am new to the forum, but if mentioning a particular brand is not against the rules, would you be able to tell me which one is it?

I tend to agree it makes sense to me to have the refugium after te skimmer, hopefully I'll be able to work something out with this kit.

Thanks again,

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TangReefer
07/10/2017, 05:26 AM
Just checked their website, apparently their machine broke down and no time frame for the baffles to be available again...

Celtic_Fox
07/12/2017, 05:13 PM
I didn't post the name of the brand because I really didn't know it and didn't have time to look it up. I remember running across it, maybe on the Dr Fosters and Smith site.

However, it appears searching "miracle mud reef tank container" on google and checking out the images will give you a couple of hits early on of rectangular tray I was mentioning.

Also, one of the hits was here at RC.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2364109

TangReefer
07/13/2017, 01:38 AM
Thanks, in searching more after I posted I ended up finding the same product with the trays but I believe it may have been discountinued, the only ads I found had a ridiculous price. Will be easier to just buy disposable plastic trays anyway, but the idea of using the trays was great, thank you!