PDA

View Full Version : Yasha Hase or Randall's Shrimp Goby

ChameleonNYSea
07/03/2017, 01:20 PM
I had a bout of Marine Velvet that wiped out most of my fish, so I am working on a reef-safe (with some caution advised) fish plan.

My main question today is: Which fish or fish pair would you prefer to have in a tank: Yasha Hase or a Randall's Prawn Goby?

Benefits and drawbacks of each?

Tank details: 7 Month old 75 gallon mixed reef tank

Current inhabitants:
Firefish (survived Velvet)
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Assorted Snails
Soft/LPS/SPS Coral

Thanks

ThRoewer
07/03/2017, 01:52 PM
I have a trio of yasha gobies in a 20 gallon tank. The advantage with yasha is that they stay smaller and that they can easily be sexed: the males have a black spot on the end of their suction cup fin.
Another benefit is that their natural partner goby is Alpheus randalli, a shrimp that stays smaller and is easy to find in stores.
The randalli gobies get larger and naturally pair up with a larger shrimp species that is rarely available.

The Gobies and shrimp are flexible and usually pair up with other than their typical natural partners, but it's generally best to pair larger Gobies with larger shrimp. For the randalli goby that would likely mean to pair it with a tiger pistol shrimp (Alpheus bellulus).
All the Stonogobiops species (nematodes, yasha, dracula,...) prefer generally Alpheus randalli

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

madweazl
07/03/2017, 01:58 PM
You'll see a lot more of the Randall's goby as they're much less reclusive than the Yasha.

ThRoewer
07/03/2017, 02:49 PM
You'll see a lot more of the Randall's goby as they're much less reclusive than the Yasha.
That depends largely on the other fish in the tank. My yashas are with 2 yellow Assessors and a pair of Janssi pipefish and are almost always out, at least the females. Most of the time they actually stand swimming high above the ground looking for food. That's something you won't get with randalli gobies.

I also have 3 S. nematodes (a pair and a single) in my 100 gallon tank with a rather rowdy crowd (especially a starcki damsel that hates gobies) and they are usually out a lot as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hogfanreefer
07/03/2017, 05:14 PM
I've had both and love them. In a peaceful tank the Yasha's will be readily visible. My Randall's paired with an Alpheus randalli readily. No need to try and obtain the larger pistol. I'd say which ever one you like the best.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/aquarium/a6a041c2-8c6f-4f4b-ab1e-feab96a33a3f_zpsf691e3d5.jpg

My Yasha's even became "friends" with a Clown goby.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/huntindoc/Fusion%2010%20gal/Goby%20Ride%201%20of%201_zpsjuq6ccuo.jpg