PDA

View Full Version : Parameters Messed Up?

ddouglass1577
07/04/2017, 09:16 AM
After 2 year of my tank being up and running I slowly did the bad thing and get lazy. I know this wasn't the smartest thing in the world. Well my tank ended up crashing. I decided to start from scratch. I cleaned the sump and tank and added new sand and rock. I re-did the plumbing and got the system up and running. No fish have been added as they are in the QT. My tank is cycled and now started testing the Mag, Cal, and Alk levels because I would like to have corals back in the tank at some point in the future. While I was testing I noticed that my Mag, Cal, and Alk levels are so low that they are unable to give a reading using my red sea test kits. I have tested multiple times of the day and multiple days. I want to raise my levels up, but my question is....if I have no fish or corals in the tank could I dose more than the 100ppm dose? or do I still have raise the levels slowly?

dollarPit
07/04/2017, 09:34 AM
If no load, why not just do large water changes with high quality mix then match your dosing to maintain the parameters of the salt mix when you add load. Whats the specific gravity with those measurements?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ddouglass1577
07/04/2017, 09:47 AM
I could do that, something I haven't done is check the salt mix. I am using Red Sea salt mix pro at 1.025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Martin Kuhn
07/04/2017, 01:00 PM
Red Sea Pro by sure doesn't bring you as low Ca, Alk Mg levels but much higher ones if mixed accordingly to a correct salinity. As already posted, you still shouldn't have any consumption in your tank lowering this levels.

I expect a much too low salinity in your tank, or "far off" results if your ca,Alk mg kits (not as probable but also possible)

Tell us exactly which salt measurement tools you use. How you measure and read your salinity. How you adapt your waterchange water to the correct salinity .....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

bertoni
07/04/2017, 02:05 PM
I am skeptical about the test kits. What are the lowest levels that they will detect? If the number are very far off, I would suggest replacing the water entirely. There might be other issues with its makeup.

Ron Reefman
07/05/2017, 05:41 AM
Get a friend with test kits to test your water. Or take some of your water (and maybe your test kits) to an LFS and have them test it with their kits. And test their water with your kits if that really necessary.

ddouglass1577
07/05/2017, 09:43 AM
Red Sea Pro by sure doesn't bring you as low Ca, Alk Mg levels but much higher ones if mixed accordingly to a correct salinity. As already posted, you still shouldn't have any consumption in your tank lowering this levels.

I expect a much too low salinity in your tank, or "far off" results if your ca,Alk mg kits (not as probable but also possible)

Tell us exactly which salt measurement tools you use. How you measure and read your salinity. How you adapt your waterchange water to the correct salinity .....

I use a Refractometer to test the water that is in the tank and before going in the tank. I also have an ATO. I do calibrate the Refractometer every year.

ddouglass1577
07/05/2017, 09:45 AM
Get a friend with test kits to test your water. Or take some of your water (and maybe your test kits) to an LFS and have them test it with their kits. And test their water with your kits if that really necessary.
I am planning on using a friends test kit to see if the same result happens. He uses Salifert, so a quality test kit.

Martin Kuhn
07/05/2017, 11:41 AM
By my experience, most bigger measurement errors are because of errors or missunderstanding of salinity measurement

Here are some Tipps
- you definitely should calibrate your Refrak more often. Do it with "saltwater of exactly known salinity !!"
(Not with RODI water with 0)
So you learn if you and your tool measure correct, if your measurement shows exactl waht the calibrating water told you.
- use the ppt / psu scale instead of SG
- be sure that your Refrak is one for "salt water" not just for any other fluid

Tell us what you measure
- your calibration fluids values AND what you measure (.... measuring it
- your tanks water
- your water change water

bertoni
07/05/2017, 04:12 PM
Okay, let us know what your friend's kit says! I hope the results are more encouraging.

ddouglass1577
07/08/2017, 08:21 PM
My friend's Red Sea test kit showed normal levels in the salt mix as well as the tank. I'm guessing my test kit is bad? I also used his digital salt reader which showed 35ppt for the tank. That being said I am going to buy new test kits. Hopefully they will work better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bertoni
07/08/2017, 09:34 PM
I agree that your test kits likely have failed.