PDA

View Full Version : Skunk shrimp eating coral

Notathumpa
07/04/2017, 10:20 AM
I've read little about this happening, but it's happening to me! I introduced a Stylophora pistillata to my reef and my Skunk shrimp is eating the tissue and polyps leaving clean white spots of skeleton. I've watch it working on the coral, but can't see it pulling any large pieces off, just picking an nibbling. The shrimp is a long time resident but I've not had this (or any other)sps before. He's not much of a cleaner so back to the LFS with him. Think I'll try a Scarlet cleaner. I have a Banded Coral shrimp who has no interest in eating corals. Anyone had similar issues?

pszemol
07/04/2017, 10:38 AM
I've read little about this happening, but it's happening to me! I introduced a Stylophora pistillata to my reef and my Skunk shrimp is eating the tissue and polyps leaving clean white spots of skeleton. I've watch it working on the coral, but can't see it pulling any large pieces off, just picking an nibbling. The shrimp is a long time resident but I've not had this (or any other)sps before. He's not much of a cleaner so back to the LFS with him. Think I'll try a Scarlet cleaner. I have a Banded Coral shrimp who has no interest in eating corals. Anyone had similar issues?

Are you sure you do not have the reversed cause and effect here?

Maybe the coral is recessing for a different reason (new introduction, so maybe something is wrong in the water or it has some parasites like red bugs) and the shrimp only helps itself to the leftovers?

This is very common misconception in tank keepers when they observe hermit rip into the pieces the snail and they say "hermit killed my snail" however most likely the snail died for multiple of reasons on its own and started smelling then became irresistible piece of morsel to the crabs and hermits.

Pszemol
--
Maroon Clownfish, breeding pair, Red BTA.

Notathumpa
07/04/2017, 10:52 AM
Are you sure you do not have the reversed cause and effect here?

Maybe the coral is recessing for a different reason (new introduction, so maybe something is wrong in the water or it has some parasites like red bugs) and the shrimp only helps itself to the leftovers?

This is very common misconception in tank keepers when they observe hermit rip into the pieces the snail and they say "hermit killed my snail" however most likely the snail died for multiple of reasons on its own and started smelling then became irresistible piece of morsel to the crabs and hermits.

Pszemol
--
Maroon Clownfish, breeding pair, Red BTA.
I've considered that. The cleaned off spots are randomly scattered on the coral with defined edges...doesn't look like necrosis. I'm going to qt the coral to see if the damage stops.

Ron Reefman
07/05/2017, 03:54 AM
I've considered that. The cleaned off spots are randomly scattered on the coral with defined edges...doesn't look like necrosis. I'm going to qt the coral to see if the damage stops.

That's a very good decision, a logical way to sort out the issue. Good luck.

Notathumpa
07/07/2017, 03:44 PM
OK. After a couple days in Qt. the coral has no new damage and the areas that were damaged seem to be healing a little. I made a trap and have it in the tank to, hopefully, catch the culprit shrimp and return it to LFS. He has absolutely no interest in my Acros or any other corals. Why this coral was so appealing to him I do not know, but I'd rather have the coral than this shrimp.