PDA

View Full Version : Help piece of wire fell in tank

07/04/2017, 12:11 PM
So,I had a piece of tinned aluminum wire fall into my tank when it broke off. Its like 1/4" long and doesnt have any insulation so theres no way I can visually locate it. Is this going to cause problems as it corrodes? I'm concerned about the solder a lot more than the aluminum, lead especially is pretty toxic.

Should I try pulling out all of my sand to make sure its out?

mcgyvr
07/04/2017, 12:23 PM
Tinned aluminum wire???..huh? Thats an odd combo

pszemol
07/04/2017, 12:35 PM
Where is the wire from? In electronics they tin copper wire.

Pszemol
--
Maroon Clownfish, breeding pair, Red BTA.

07/04/2017, 12:39 PM
Its from a fan. It came pretinned but stripping the wire back more reveals aluminum stranded wire

pszemol
07/04/2017, 12:41 PM
They do not use lead nowadays - everything is ROHAS.

Pszemol
--

07/04/2017, 01:01 PM

Pszemol
--

So the problem likely isn't as serious as I first thought? How important is it that yhe piece be removed do you think?

mcgyvr
07/04/2017, 01:57 PM

Its "ROHS" (restriction of hazardous substances) and for our needs its the copper thats of concern.. Not really the lead at all.. ROHS could care less about copper..

Its likely copper clad aluminum wire if anything.. Personally I would search for a good 10 minutes then chalk it up to "life" and just forget about it...

pszemol
07/04/2017, 03:25 PM
Its likely copper clad aluminum wire if anything..

Or copper strands individually tinned - I would search for it, could not sleep otherwise.

Pszemol
--

07/04/2017, 03:46 PM
Or copper strands individually tinned - I would search for it, could not sleep otherwise.

Pszemol
--

They're definitely not copper clad aluminum. Based on appearance I suppose they could be individually tinned copper but that would be incredibly expensive for an off-the-shelf cheap fan

heathlindner25
07/04/2017, 03:51 PM
I would go celebrate the 4th and relax. About 5 years ago I broke a thermometer with steel shot for a weight in my tank. I still find rusty steel pellets every now and then . This is a 40 breeder .

pszemol
07/04/2017, 04:50 PM
I would go celebrate the 4th and relax. About 5 years ago I broke a thermometer with steel shot for a weight in my tank. I still find rusty steel pellets every now and then . This is a 40 breeder .

Iron is not as poisonous as copper, I am afraid.

Pszemol
--

pszemol
07/04/2017, 04:51 PM
They're definitely not copper clad aluminum. Based on appearance I suppose they could be individually tinned copper but that would be incredibly expensive for an off-the-shelf cheap fan

If you still have the rest of the wire I would check it instead of guessing. This kind of wire is really cheap.

Pszemol
--

ca1ore
07/05/2017, 08:59 AM
Run a polyfilter for awhile if you want; I'd not worry though.

NanoReefWanabe
07/06/2017, 08:28 AM
Pretined copper wire stranded or solid will be tinned the entire length of the wire... there is petty much zero chance of it being aluminum wire...i don't seven know if you can but aluminum wire in 20-24awg... only time I have ever seen aluminum used in wire is very old houses and house feed lines... as for a tiny 1/4" piece dropped in a tank, i don't think i would be overly concerned... there is trace amounts of copper in nsw... run some carbon every once in a while.