PDA

View Full Version : Powering a device by VARSPD

alemone
07/04/2017, 02:57 PM
Can I use the variable speed to power a valve? Less than 1 watt is needed.

RussM
07/04/2017, 06:45 PM
No, absolutely not. The varspd output is suitable only as a control signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alemone
07/04/2017, 07:17 PM
No, absolutely not. The varspd output is suitable only as a control signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard that and always wondered about the source of that notion.

slief
07/05/2017, 10:10 AM
I've heard that and always wondered about the source of that notion.

This isn't a notion. It is fact. You can verify that with the folks at Neptune Systems if you would like. The output of the 0-10v signal is in mA not amps. There is a specification for 0-10v control signals and the Apex meets with that standard. This standard is used for many different technologies and not just Aquarium controllers. 0-10v control is used in things such as medical pumps, commercial and consumer lighting, pool pumps and more. It's a very low current output and if you overload it by trying to power something from it, you WILL damage the 0-10v output on the controller.

alemone
07/05/2017, 11:10 AM
This isn't a notion. It is fact. You can verify that with the folks at Neptune Systems if you would like. The output of the 0-10v signal is in mA not amps. There is a specification for 0-10v control signals and the Apex meets with that standard. This standard is used for many different technologies and not just Aquarium controllers. 0-10v control is used in things such as medical pumps, commercial and consumer lighting, pool pumps and more. It's a very low current output and if you overload it by trying to power something from it, you WILL damage the 0-10v output on the controller.

OK. I didn't say it wasn't true. I just wondered about the source of the info.