PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite dosing?

hoover86
07/05/2017, 08:31 AM
So I've been in the hobby for quite a few years now. I have a small mixed reef at work now and am setting up a 125 SPS dominant tank at home right now. I've been dosing manually with BRS 2 part that I mix up but I hear people dosing with a variety of other methods as well.

I'm wondering what everyone's favorite dosing method is and why they chose it? I've read I can make my own 2 part for quite a bit less when buying ingredients in bulk as well but curious to see what everyone else uses and why!

bertoni
07/05/2017, 03:55 PM
Two-part worked for me for years. Dosing silicate and iron can be helpful in some cases, although I didn't see a big difference when I tried them. The silicate might have helped some sponges. I also used Kalk, which has some nice properties.

Exceptionrule
07/05/2017, 04:14 PM
Been dosing a half cap of AquaVitro Fuel every few days in my 75g mixed.

madweazl
07/05/2017, 04:51 PM
Manually dose baking soda for alkalinity and Prestone Driveway Heat for calcium. Water changes are able to maintain everything else for now.

homer1475
07/05/2017, 05:06 PM
Baking soda for alk, BRS bulk chemicals for Magnesium, and Calcium.

While I manually dose mag, a korefifth auto doser, doses alk and cal every hour on the hour.

gprdypoo04
07/05/2017, 11:29 PM
Just switched from 2 part to baking soda for alk. Mostly using calcium chloride and a little of the C balance for calcium until I run out.

gprdypoo04
07/05/2017, 11:58 PM
Forgot to mention kalkwasser....

Ron Reefman
07/06/2017, 03:49 AM
Dowflake for Ca, pool supply sodium bicarbonate for alk, Mag Flake for magnesium chloride and Epsom salt for magnesium sulfate. I've been using these for 6 years now in 4 tanks. Works great, very inexpensive and no issues.

devastator007
07/06/2017, 07:58 AM
Kalk has maintained Ca and Alk for me, and I manually add DIY Mag supplement maybe once a month as needed. I'll add 2 part to kalk dosing when my demand requires it.

On top of the "big 3" I also dose a drip of luigals solution once a week, Add a few mL of trace elements once a week, perform a 20% water change about once every 3 weeks or when I have time, carbon dose with vinegar once a day from pre-measured containers, and broadcast feed coral once or twice a week.