PDA

View Full Version : LF ADVICE: Biocube 32 gallon lighting swap for large carpet anemone

hotelbravo
07/05/2017, 10:23 AM
I am military preparing to go on an unaccompanied tour for 12-15 months.
my wife cannot take care of the 180 gallon I currently have setup and so a compromise was made to turn my daughters freshwater 32 gallon biocube into saltwater and put the two clowns and the anemones in the tank. I can sell all other livestock and replace eventually but the anemones and clowns I cannot let go.

So the problem is that I don't think the biocube LED lighting is powerful enough for a carpet anemone. I have heard of people replacing the stock lighting with more powerful lighting but I don't know which light or anything else.

Mr. Eel
07/05/2017, 10:36 AM
These are my go to https://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_TrueLumen_Pro_Marine_Fusion_12K_453nm_Blue_LED_StripLight_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariu ms-Current_USA-CU03002-FILTFILD-vi.html

They can be any necessary size probably 1' for you and are easy to put on with a dab of silicon or other adhesive.

D-Nak
07/05/2017, 12:58 PM
First off, thanks for your service. I don't think people say that enough.

Do you have a LFS that could house your anemone and clowns in one of their DTs until you return? What about another hobbyist? Might be better than keeping a carpet in a small DT, and less pressure on your wife.

Ryan Darilek
07/05/2017, 01:57 PM
+1 on the appreciation of your service!!

I've got a BC32 as well and upgraded my lighting with a retrofit kit made by Steve's LEDs and I can't speak highly enough about them. The kit runs about $275-300, is made specifically for this tank and the install is relatively easy. Its 84W of 28 Luxlumen LEDs that produce a 14k full spectrum and they are extremely powerful and look incredible (shimmer effect is bad A) ... In fact, the only way you would have them turned all the way up to 100% is if you're TRYING to kill your corals and/or nem. The Hurricane X controller that comes with is pretty awesome as well and has all the bells and whistles including realistic sunrise/sunset, cloud simulation, lighting simulation and all other kinds of crap you'll never use, but is cool to have. My BTA is extremely happy (pictured below). Rapid LED also makes a retro kit for this tank... But Steve's gets my vote of course. Best of luck with which ever way you decide to go, and have a safe tour!!

www.stevesleds.com https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170705/25353e0fc24027d3d1111b76d0643dfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hotelbravo
07/05/2017, 09:19 PM
These are my go to https://www.marinedepot.com/Current_USA_TrueLumen_Pro_Marine_Fusion_12K_453nm_Blue_LED_StripLight_LED_Light_Fixtures_for_Aquariu ms-Current_USA-CU03002-FILTFILD-vi.html

They can be any necessary size probably 1' for you and are easy to put on with a dab of silicon or other adhesive.Thank you for the help. The link wouldnt open up on a government computer ill take a look at it when i get home

First off, thanks for your service. I don't think people say that enough. Thank you!

Do you have a LFS that could house your anemone and clowns in one of their DTs until you return?my lfs doesnt have the room for a large carpet in their tank What about another hobbyist? Might be i dont know any around me that would hold on to a possible fish eater anemone better than keeping a carpet in a small DT, and less pressure on your wife.I could hook up something to add a 30 gallon tall sump in the stand to increase water volume

+1 on the appreciation of your service!! Thank you!

I've got a BC32 as well and upgraded my lighting with a retrofit kit made by Steve's LEDs and I can't speak highly enough about them. The kit runs about $275-300, is made specifically for this tank and the install is relatively easy. Its 84W of 28 Luxlumen LEDs that produce a 14k full spectrum and they are extremely powerful and look incredible (shimmer effect is bad A) ... In fact, the only way you would have them turned all the way up to 100% is if you're TRYING to kill your corals and/or nem. The Hurricane X controller that comes with is pretty awesome as well and has all the bells and whistles including realistic sunrise/sunset, cloud simulation, lighting simulation and all other kinds of crap you'll never use, but is cool to have. My BTA is extremely happy (pictured below). Rapid LED also makes a retro kit for this tank... But Steve's gets my vote of course. Best of luck with which ever way you decide to go, and have a safe tour!! Thank you i will look into these lights i appreciate the help

www.stevesleds.com

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk