PDA

View Full Version : Storing Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

GardenVariety
07/05/2017, 09:31 PM
I just switched from IO Reef Crystals to RSCP for my 200 Gallon with AWC setup. My system is (2) 55 gallon containers with a heater and power head constantly running on the NSW side. My AWC via DOS changes approximately 2 gallons a day. I had a couple questions about the RSCP.

1)The instructions state not to mix for more than 4 hours. I've been keeping a small power head and heater running. Is this OK? I've noticed a very slight drop in PH (per my APEX PH Probe) from ~8.2 to 8.1 since starting this salt a couple weeks ago.

2)I run through the 55 gallons around every 3 weeks. Is storing this long OK?

I'm tempted to return back to IO if I cannot store RSCP as long.

Potatohead
07/05/2017, 09:51 PM
Let it go for a day or two and then check the parameters if it is still clear. As long as you mix it cold and then heat it you will likely be fine. Because it has elevated levels if it is mixed too long they can start to precipitate out, but if you are "gentle" with it I don't see why it's any different than adding it to the tank.

GardenVariety
07/05/2017, 10:03 PM
Let it go for a day or two and then check the parameters if it is still clear. As long as you mix it cold and then heat it you will likely be fine. Because it has elevated levels if it is mixed too long they can start to precipitate out, but if you are "gentle" with it I don't see why it's any different than adding it to the tank.

I mixed a new batch a couple days ago so I'll check the parameters and see. I'll try and mix it cold and maybe not heat it unless I do a manual water change. There probably isn't much of a point to temperature matching when I change in such little increments.

bertoni
07/06/2017, 04:14 PM
Some people do see some precipitation, but I agree that giving it a try should be safe enough. At worst, the calcium and alkalinity levels might drop a bit, along with a bit cloudiness.

GardenVariety
07/06/2017, 09:40 PM
Some people do see some precipitation, but I agree that giving it a try should be safe enough. At worst, the calcium and alkalinity levels might drop a bit, along with a bit cloudiness.

I tested the water today and it read 460 Calcium, 10 DKh, 1300 MG & 8.2 PH. I do see some brown precipitation on my storage barrel but nothing too bad. I will mix cold next time and refrain from using a heater. I'll still use a powerhead.

bertoni
07/07/2017, 01:57 PM
Some precipitation is normal. Most likely, it's calcium carbonate along with some contaminants. I wouldn't worry.

GardenVariety
07/10/2017, 10:13 AM
I was doing my Monday testing and saw a 1 DKh drop in my tank. It's down to 7. I measured my reservoir again and the Alkalinity is down to 9 DKh. It dropped a whole point in one weekend. I'm very concerned about how to properly store this salt. Any suggestions? I'm going to mix a new batch and this time not heat or use a power head.

bertoni
07/10/2017, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure why this salt is so prone to precipitation. Keeping the temperature down should help. The powerhead will add heat, so I agree with not using it.