PDA

View Full Version : Pearls or pellets that target PO4 over NO3

LesMelling
07/06/2017, 09:05 AM
Are there any pearls or pellets that will target phosphate more than nitrate? I have a gyrator I can use but my NO3 is only 2ppm while my PO4 is 0.06ppm so a media I can fluidise (I have a spare Gyractor 400 I wish to use) which is aimed more at PO4 would be best. Thanks.

bertoni
07/06/2017, 04:28 PM
A bit of GFO might solve the problem. There aren't any bio-plastics that will encourage more phosphate consumption, as far as I can tell. They are all fairly similar.

mcgyvr
07/06/2017, 06:35 PM
With levels like that why do anything?
Or are you already using pellets to maintain those levels?

As stated GFO targets phosphates.. that can be used when only a reduction of phosphates is desired..

tmz
07/08/2017, 02:12 PM
Not really. The organic carbon encourages heterotrophic bacteria to grow . They take up phosphate and nitrogen to meet their needs ; different strains at work may vary a bit in terms of the N:P ratio they use but there is no evidence of which I am aware to suggest that in a measureable way.
FYI, the heterotrophic bacteria tend to target ammonia for nitrogen preferentially to nitrate, in a one step process. Thus less nitrate is produced as less is available to ammonia oxidizing bacteria which make nitrate from it.
Some nitrate will be reduced to N in anaerobic activity too with some of the N forming N2 gas which bubbles out of the tank. There is no such exit for phosphate which sometimes leads to a need for additional PO4 removal via gfo or other binders.

LesMelling
07/08/2017, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys. food for thought there. I will go the GFO route then and sell on the Gyrator. I realise my PO4 is quite low along with my NO3 but I would like my NO3 around 0.02ppm. I am using an ATS which is keeping both at lowish levels I just wanted to bring my PO4 down a little more. I have an Aqua Medic medium multi reactor to put some PO4 remover in so will use that.