PDA

View Full Version : New watchman goby with parasite URGENT!!

EthanHawaii
07/06/2017, 06:16 PM
I have a new yellow watchman goby I got from the LFS and have it drip acclimating to the tank water and while looking super closely at the fish I saw a tiny white bit on it's neck? And I don't have a QT so am wondering if I should give it a freshwater dip?? The bump is slightly raised. I have 30mins before I am forced to put it in the tank! I also have prazipro.

Please save the comments for later about me not having a QT tank.

Thank you!

Here's a picture I just got.
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/ethanhawaii/20170706_171856_zpsfc0d7qmm.jpg (http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/ethanhawaii/media/20170706_171856_zpsfc0d7qmm.jpg.html)

EthanHawaii
07/06/2017, 07:11 PM
I was forced to put the fish in the tank.

I am hoping the wrasse might bite the parasite off because I saw it take a few nips around were it is, so maybe it already did. I don't know because it dove into the firefish rock. So it will be interesting to see what the firefish does. Any comments about weather I should treat the tank with anything is welcome!

UPDATE: Both the firefish and goby are in the same burrow sleeping.

CPdude
07/06/2017, 11:44 PM
I had a yellow watchman goby with a parasitic isopod before. Then the skunk cleaner took like a few seconds and the isopod is off. Try to get a skunk cleaner

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

EthanHawaii
07/07/2017, 12:52 PM
Ok thanks!
I've only seen the goby in a position that makes it hard to see if there is a bump or not we're the parasite is. But from what I can see I can't really see the parasite front on anymore.

ThRoewer
07/07/2017, 03:38 PM
For watchman gobies I would rather get a symbiotic pistol shrimp. They act as cleaner shrimp for their partner Gobies and are much more effective for gobies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EthanHawaii
07/07/2017, 04:24 PM
For watchman gobies I would rather get a symbiotic pistol shrimp. They act as cleaner shrimp for their partner Gobies and are much more effective for gobies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks.

I had a Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp before and it was super cool but terrible. It never bonded with my YWG and it moved so much sand around.

I just don't feel safe getting one because I also heard they can kill Firefish. and seeing as the goby is living with the Firefish I think it would be twice as likely to kill the Firefish. I have thought really hard about this. Maybe if the Goby moves I will reconsider.

The YWG is eating frozen! but still extremely shy, I think the Firefish is helping it feel secure though.

I paid $40 CAN or $31 USD taxes in for the 1'' Goby, is this a little high? Just curious because my other one was cheaper and a lot bigger. Just wondering if they've gone up in price in the states as well?

hazenight
07/08/2017, 03:05 PM
I bought mine for around 20.00 dollars in MA

EthanHawaii
07/08/2017, 03:08 PM
I bought mine for around 20.00 dollars in MA

Ok, thanks.

ThRoewer
07/09/2017, 06:21 AM
Ok, thanks.

I had a Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp before and it was super cool but terrible. It never bonded with my YWG and it moved so much sand around.

I just don't feel safe getting one because I also heard they can kill Firefish. and seeing as the goby is living with the Firefish I think it would be twice as likely to kill the Firefish. I have thought really hard about this. Maybe if the Goby moves I will reconsider.

The YWG is eating frozen! but still extremely shy, I think the Firefish is helping it feel secure though.

I paid $40 CAN or $31 USD taxes in for the 1'' Goby, is this a little high? Just curious because my other one was cheaper and a lot bigger. Just wondering if they've gone up in price in the states as well?

Candy Cane (A. randalli) is highly unlikely to kill fish - they simply stay too small. Though, for a grown YWG you would need a larger shrimp like a Tiger (A. belullus). Those truly move a lot of sand and are in theory large enough to harm fish, but pistol shrimp are not predatory on fish. If they ever attack a fish then in self defense.

EthanHawaii
07/09/2017, 02:09 PM
Candy Cane (A. randalli) is highly unlikely to kill fish - they simply stay too small. Though, for a grown YWG you would need a larger shrimp like a Tiger (A. belullus). Those truly move a lot of sand and are in theory large enough to harm fish, but pistol shrimp are not predatory on fish. If they ever attack a fish then in self defense.

Because I would need a tiger shrimp which might kill the Firefish I just don't think it's a good idea right now.

I might get a skunk shrimp as CPdude mentioned because it would be good if any of my fish get parasitic isopods or other parasites. My female clown is prone to them but seems to kill them herself.

Here's a picture of the YWG in it's shared burrow.
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/ethanhawaii/20170709_125830_zps2dqgmcgr.jpg (http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/ethanhawaii/media/20170709_125830_zps2dqgmcgr.jpg.html)