PDA

View Full Version : Marine Velvet concerns

Scubabum
07/06/2017, 11:36 PM
I recently setup a Red Sea Reefer 525xl. Tank is fully cycled and had 12 fish and approx 30 corals, SPS and LPS frags. I purchased 6 fish from my LFS and Quarantined them for 6 weeks. The day before the fish were to hit the Display tank I lost two really small clowns in QT. They did not show signs of parasites or any illness so I figured they just died. I made the mistake of putting the remaining 4 fish in the Main Display. A few days later Marine Velvet showed its ugly face and I lost a Kole tang, Orchid dottyback, Royal Gramma, and I have a clown that is struggling. I removed all my rock, caught all the fish and put them into QT for treatment. I've read through numerous threads and see I should leave the tank Fallow for at least 72 days. A recent trip to my LFS, I was surprised to see zero fish in the store. The employee told me their entire system was wiped out to Velvet. My concern is by removing all the fish that the biological load , bacteria and nutrient levels will be affected. I was planning on feeding the coral 2-3 times a week. Any advice on anything else I should do to keep coral alive while the tank is Fallow for 72 days. Thanks for any and all advice or other recommendations to my situation. Thanks in advance.

scuzy
07/06/2017, 11:38 PM
Just let it go fallow and it should die out without fish hosts.

JustinM
07/07/2017, 06:44 AM
Marine velvet fallow period is only 6 weeks but it never hurts to insure ich is gone as well.

As for adding nutrients to the tank, there is a tree stump removal product that adds nitrates or seachem makes a product called flourish. The only problem with flourish is it adds Potassium as well, though not enough to raise concerns.