PDA

View Full Version : New Fish

moe103
07/07/2017, 12:23 AM
So I just received a C. fremblii today. I floated the bag and drip acclimated for an hour. Turned off the lights for a couple of hours and went to check up on it before going to bed. He has a very washed out or white appearance on his body.

Any ideas? Is he just recovering from the trip or is this something I should be treating?

Thanks

JustinM
07/07/2017, 08:37 PM
It may just be his stress colors. Was he shipped to you overnight?

moe103
07/08/2017, 11:13 PM
Yes, he was shipped on Wednesday and I received him on Thursday around 7 pm. He still has the white blotches but he's swimming fine and eating some black worms.

JustinM
07/09/2017, 06:09 AM
One thing to consider next time you have fish shipped to you is just temp acclimate and match salinity in your qt and then throw the fish in.

Fish waste builds up ammonia in the bag but is mixed with co2. When the bag is opened, it releases the co2 and the pH climbs turning the harmless ammonia into toxic ammonia. The white blotches could also be ammonia burns.

moe103
07/09/2017, 08:19 AM
I floated the bag for 20 minutes and then opened the bag and poured the fish and all it's water into a 5 gallon bucket and drop acclimated into the bucket. How long will it take to heal if they are ammonia burns. Btw the gills look fine.

Ngoodermuth
07/09/2017, 11:29 AM
If it's ammonia burns a methylene blue bath might help.

It could be a bacterial infection. Butterflies are prone to them. In that case you could treat with either nitrofuracin green, or a combination of kanaplex + metroplex + furan-2 for 10 days.

The benefit to the latter is that metroplex addresses the possibility of Brook as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustinM
07/09/2017, 11:29 AM
I just enlarged the picture, I see the blotches now.

moe103
07/09/2017, 12:52 PM
The fremblii still has the white blotches. He is swimming well and eating blackworms and clam out of the water column. QT parameters are good. I dosed with Prazi and will see what happens. I attached an updated pic. The flame angel he came with died. :( I hope he fares better

Ngoodermuth
07/09/2017, 06:05 PM
^ That is definitely a bacterial infection. Do you have any of the antibiotics I mentioned above on hand?

moe103
07/09/2017, 10:00 PM
I have kanaplex, metroplex and furan-2. Use them all at the same time? The fish doesn't seem to be in any distress. It is eating blackworms and clams out of the water column with gusto. It swims around the tank and is acting pretty chilled out.

Ngoodermuth
07/20/2017, 12:44 PM
I have kanaplex, metroplex and furan-2. Use them all at the same time? The fish doesn't seem to be in any distress. It is eating blackworms and clams out of the water column with gusto. It swims around the tank and is acting pretty chilled out.

How is he now? I'm sorry, I'm not on here much. Yes, you can use them all together for serious infections. Dose all three every 48 hours after a 25% water change.

It helps to space them out over a few hours to not overwhelm the fish. And also adding extra aeration since medications can zap the O2 content.

I hope he's doing better for you.