PDA

View Full Version : Royal Gramma Behavior

aiber
07/07/2017, 06:27 AM
My Gramma disappears 2 - 4 days in a row then reappears randomly. When the Gramma is out and about he eats aggressively. When he is "hiding" and I feed, he doesn't come out. Further, I have established amphipods and copepods. My question is, when the Gramma is "hiding" is it eating? Is it eating amphipods/copepods? Anything else it may be eating? Does it go 2-4 days without eating? I am really not worried but curious.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Haunt
07/07/2017, 09:13 AM
Do you have any other fish in the tank besides the Royal Gramma?

aiber
07/07/2017, 09:19 AM
Do you have any other fish in the tank besides the Royal Gramma?

Yes. I have pair of Darwin Clownfish. They never bother each other. When they are all out they just swim by each other. No aggression whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haunt
07/07/2017, 09:30 AM
Being that your probably feeding the clownfish on a daily basis I'd be willing to bet that the Royal Gramma is cashing in on this feast as well. (even though your not seeing it)
As long as the fish looks healthy though I wouldn't worry too much about it.

aiber
07/07/2017, 05:39 PM
Being that your probably feeding the clownfish on a daily basis I'd be willing to bet that the Royal Gramma is cashing in on this feast as well. (even though your not seeing it)

As long as the fish looks healthy though I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the input

ericarenee
07/08/2017, 07:46 AM
They can be very timid fish Mine will do this when i put my hands inside the tank to scrape the glass move something around and so on..

I bet you its eating and you are just not seeing it..

aiber
07/08/2017, 01:34 PM
They can be very timid fish Mine will do this when i put my hands inside the tank to scrape the glass move something around and so on..

I bet you its eating and you are just not seeing it..

Yes. I am not that concerned. All my parameters are good and everything else is doing great. Just wondering what he is eating. I feed pellets and he scarfs those down when he is out and about. Do grammas eat pods?

aiber
07/12/2017, 01:48 PM
Update: The Gramma has now been hiding? since 7/7. There are no signs of him anywhere. Is it possible he is still hiding?

Ncord
07/13/2017, 12:57 AM
Update: The Gramma has now been hiding? since 7/7. There are no signs of him anywhere. Is it possible he is still hiding?

I had one that would do that same but I would recommend checking your rock work in case he is stuck, had mine for 3 years nice fatty, he got him self stuck and when I did find him the emerald crabs had been picking At him, log story short he did make after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aiber
07/13/2017, 06:19 AM
I had one that would do that same but I would recommend checking your rock work in case he is stuck, had mine for 3 years nice fatty, he got him self stuck and when I did find him the emerald crabs had been picking At him, log story short he did make after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have been checking with my flashlight during lights on and off. I have pukani rock so there are caves inside that he may be in anyway.

I will wait and see.

aiber
07/20/2017, 08:50 PM
Added a Yellow Tang two days ago. Still no sign of my Gramma. It's been two weeks! Still hope he is alive?

Smokey Stover
07/21/2017, 05:49 AM
Could it have jumped out? Or in the overflow?

aiber
07/21/2017, 06:53 AM
Could it have jumped out? Or in the overflow?
Highly doubt that is jumped out even though it is a possibility because I have an open top. But there is nothing around my tank so I would have seen the gramma if it had.

Regarding the overflow, I have it covered but will surely check tonight.

Thanks

NYCBOB
07/21/2017, 07:16 AM
2 weeks? most likely he is a goner.