PDA

View Full Version : Fish gone!

parrot1012
07/07/2017, 10:47 AM
I put 3 fire fish and a pearl jaw fish in last night this morning 1 fire fish jawfish might still be hiding but fire fish are gone , no bodies in or out wondering if starfish not that big "quarter size" or small coral banded shrimp could be responsible? I have other small fish in tank chromies, damsels , gobies never had a problem anyone have any thoughts?

thegrun
07/07/2017, 10:56 AM
How big is your tank? You really should not keep more than a single Firefish in a tank unless you have a mated pair, three rarely work out long term except in very large tanks. All that said, Firefish are typically very shy and usually go into hiding for several days if not weeks when introduced into a new tank. Eventually they will start to venture out from their hiding place(s) as long as they are not harassed by more aggressive fish, but give it some time. I would recommend that you consider removing at least one of them or you are likely going to have fights tom the death.

WatDatThing
07/07/2017, 12:45 PM
And I thought fire fish are peaceful.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ReeferNoob4ever
07/07/2017, 01:06 PM
Banded Coral Shrimp have to be pretty huge to grab a fish. They will defend themselves though. Whenever I put new fish in, unless it's a damsel or chromis, they hide in the rocks for up to a week. Once they finally get hungry enough they usually venture out. That's when the real fun starts...

ca1ore
07/07/2017, 04:50 PM
Same answer as every other 'missing fish' thread ..... In order of probability IME .....

1. Died and got 'reduced' (you'd be surprised how fast this happens)
2. Jumped - either dried up under the stand or cat/do food
3. Hiding
4. Eaten by some actual, or imagined, boogeyman.

parrot1012
07/07/2017, 08:32 PM
90 gal tank, no bodies o/s I have 3 purple in my other 90 they have been in there forever each kinda has its own area but no problems ,don't think their hiding but who knows hopefully the sole survivor will make it

goodman770
07/07/2017, 08:54 PM
I lost a convict tang one time. Found him two months later in the the overflow, alive

gprdypoo04
07/07/2017, 10:00 PM
I recently bought a small firefish to put in my 40 gallon with a yellow wrasse and two clown fish. Looked like he was going to make it just hanging out in the bottom corner. The next morning I had to scoop him out.