PDA

View Full Version : LFS trip for anemone

Valentini89
07/07/2017, 02:47 PM
So I'm headed to a LFS in search of an anenome for my 2 clowns.. what type is best and most likely to be a fit for them?

Diana A
07/07/2017, 02:56 PM
which clowns do you have?

Valentini89
07/07/2017, 03:07 PM
which clowns do you have?

False perculas- traditional orange and white

Diana A
07/07/2017, 04:07 PM
Ritteri (Heteractis Magnifica) full grown approx 1' dia
Giant Carpet (Stichodactyla gigantea) gets too big for your aquarium
Some times BTA will host ocellaris

I am not sure if there is another that will host ocellaris

ThRoewer
07/07/2017, 05:09 PM

Mertensii would be the third natural host, but I had ocellaris (and percula) also accept crispa and malu.

A plain ceramic flowerpot will almost always work, often even better than an anemone. I actually have a pair of percula that refused, malu, crispa and BTAs and rather took a flowerpot (and some green star polyps) as home. Only when I offered them a gigantea they finally accepted it.

Valentini89
07/07/2017, 08:09 PM

Thanks but they didn't have any... Got put on a waiting list.

mrhighline
07/08/2017, 10:40 AM
False perculas- traditional orange and white

I've had luck with these clowns and BTA's ... Both Green and Rainbow colors.

NYCBOB
07/08/2017, 11:51 AM
bta is ur best bet. much easier to take of and host almost all clownfish.

vhuang168
07/08/2017, 01:18 PM
My Perculas and Occellaris did not take to a BTA.

The Perculas accepted a Magnifica and the Occellaris accepted a LTA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151
07/08/2017, 05:46 PM
I'd go with a long tentacle. Not a natural host but they will more than likely go in it after a little while. Just make sure the tank has a nice deep section of sand where the anemone is. The natural hosts are all pretty tough to find healthy specimens of, especially here on the east coast.

Ryan Darilek
07/08/2017, 06:32 PM
I never had luck with LTA's, but as soon as I got a larger BTA, it happened right away. I would recommend getting one from a fellow reefer though and not from the LFS... Getting one that split in someone's tank is almost a sure bet that it'll do well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OrionN
07/09/2017, 07:32 AM

Actually full grown Magnifica is 24+ inches, same as Gigantea.
Agree with ThRoewer that the third natural hose for Ocellaris is Mertensii, 36+ inches full grown.
All will be too big for your tank of 26 gal.
You seem to be a new reefers. All these anemones are not for beginner, and all difficult to get (Mertensitii) or difficult to get healthy (the other two). I do not recommend any of these for a new reefer, or for small tank.

Of the non natural host anemones, I would really recommended that you consider a H. malu. I always have good luck with Malu hosting Ocellaris or Percula. Malu is a fairly hardy anemone, they will stay on/in your sand bed and will not get larger than 6-8 inches. As far as host anemone concern, this is likely the best anemone for a novice reefer with small tank that have a sand bed.

ThRoewer
07/09/2017, 10:28 PM
For a beginner I would either recommend a "tank raised" BTA or if you just want to give them a suitable home and don't mind the look, a ceramic flowerpot.

It sounds at first silly, but I have had so far 50 plus anemonefish pairs and with the exception of some monster clarkii which I couldn't furnish with a suitably sized pot, all accepted an offered flowerpot within hours to a day. I don't really know why, but those cheap red ceramic flowerpots seem to attract anemonefish even stronger than a wrong host anemone.
And for breeding anemonefish a flowerpot would be the first choice anyway as it makes stealing the eggs so much easier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk