PDA

View Full Version : New fish from LiveAquaria - Swimming vertically near surface

Newms118
07/07/2017, 08:19 PM
I just ordered a flame angel, 2 zebra dartfish, and a chalk bass from Live Aquaria. When them all came in, i floated the bags in the QT, opened the bags, add 2 drops of Prime, and proceeded with the quarter cup acclimation method for an hour. Before they were introduced to the QT, I did a formalin bath (1 mL per gallon dose) as follows:

Flame angel, and 2 dart fish = 15 minutes, all done separately with constant airstone aeration.
Chalk bass = 10 minutes, same.

The flame angel and chalk bass seem fine. Both are very finicky eaters (flame angel at least pecked at the blood worms but the chalk bass isnt interested yet, still just hangs out at the bottom of the tank and occasionally swims).

The issue is the dartfish. One has been in a tube and has yet to come out (been in there 2 days). The other seems to have issues swimming. Currently its floating vertically with its face at the surface, doesnt really seem to be gasping for air. If it tries to swim, it will go to the bottom, but will start to float up, like its front half will fight to stay down, and the back end of the fish rises up like its tied to a balloon. Im worried these guys arent doing well and my pass soon.

Any idea as to whats the deal with the reclusiveness and funny swimming?

Tank setup has been running for about a month and has quarantined successfully a sixline wrasse, 2 banggai cardinals, and a clownish. The tank itself has only been treated with Prazipro during those incubations.

JustinM
07/07/2017, 08:51 PM
Sounds like swim bladder to me. There really isn't anything you can do. Sometimes it's caused by eating too much, sometimes it's parasitic. I've heard peas may help if they're constipated. If he is eating you can try and add some metro to his food as well if it's intestinal parasites. Good luck.

Newms118
07/07/2017, 10:44 PM
not eating yet, still acting stressed. Ill keep trying.

JustinM
07/08/2017, 10:54 AM
This happened with one of my clowns. It was swimming upwards and kind of sinking. It ended up being intestinal worms. He had long and white stringy poop. We added metroplex to his food and it cleared up. Of course they need to be eating. Intestinal parasites do kill sonif he isn't eating, you can dose it directly to QT water but it isn't as effective as going right into their stomach.