PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Question

Bill Nye
07/07/2017, 07:36 PM
Just got some Mrs Wages Pickling Lime in the mail,filled up a 5 gallon salt bucket with RODI then added 2 teaspoons of the lime and mixed it. Is it normal to have a white film on the top of the water after adding lime?

thegrun
07/07/2017, 07:49 PM
Yes, that is normal.

Bill Nye
07/07/2017, 07:51 PM
Yes, that is normal.

Thanks.

I mixed it about 3 hours ago and the mixture is still pretty cloudy under the film does it typically take this long to settle?

Bill Nye
07/08/2017, 07:10 AM
Just an update

The kalk water never settled over night. When I move the top film it still is very cloudy and I cant see the bottom of the container. What happened?

Is it because a red sea salt bucket isn't 5 gallons? I have it next to my actual 5 gallon bucket and its definitely smaller but not that much. How clear should I expect the kalk solution to get?

jayball
07/08/2017, 08:23 AM
The extra kalk and precipitate that settles to the bottom is very fine and easy to stir up. Within an hour or two you should be able to see the bottom clearly. Have any animals that may be bumping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Nye
07/08/2017, 08:33 AM
The extra kalk and precipitate that settles to the bottom is very fine and easy to stir up. Within an hour or two you should be able to see the bottom clearly. Have any animals that may be bumping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upon further inspection it seems like there is still the film on the top but when I moved the top film I could see down to the bottom of the bucket and noticed a little bit of white precipitate on the bottom.

The fluid is not clear though. I would say its transparent but you can definitely tell its white. Can this be dosed or should I start over again?

der_wille_zur_macht
07/08/2017, 12:46 PM
Personally, I would start over.

As others have said, you should get a film on top, very fine and white sediment on the bottom, and nothing but completely crystal clear solution in between. There should be very little sediment at all unless you're using lots of kalk and saturating the solution (which is totally fine and sometimes desirable).

What's your source water like? How are you mixing the solution? Are you aerating? (you shouldn't be, it will pull the kalk back out of solution via atmospheric CO2).