PDA

View Full Version : **** hit the fan! vectra failure!

Cammunoz
07/08/2017, 08:25 AM
Well like the tittle states my vectra m1 driver just stopped working no power? so i checked the power supply it was ok. Im really confused how this could of happened? no water was near it. Ecotech had me ship out the driver and power supply in the mean time my tank has no return pump! ......not good i asked if they could send out a replacement and they couldnt hope im still under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy
07/08/2017, 09:18 AM
Reason to have a spare pump. I have a cheap jebao as a spare for my red dragon

Cammunoz
07/08/2017, 09:19 AM

good idea

slief
07/08/2017, 09:41 AM

+1.. Alwyays keep spares for critical equipment. I keep spare return pumps, spare Tunze power heads, spare controller brain etc. You can never be too prepared. We have too much invested in our tanks to allow ourselves to be caught with our pants down so to speak.

OP, sorry to hear about your pump. Did you happen to take it apart and check the inside of the block (magnet cavity) for signs of issues or calcium buildup that could have overloaded the driver?

Confuse
07/08/2017, 09:55 AM
I've been running my Vectra L1 for over a year without issues, so I'm crossing my finger it keeps on trucking. I do have one of the original (I think?) units that came with the large Meanwell power supply (made in Taiwan), but I noticed they later replaced them with a power brick (probably cheaper one from China). But who knows what could be the problem people have with these pumps...

Cammunoz
07/08/2017, 10:09 AM
+1.. Alwyays keep spares for critical equipment. I keep spare return pumps, spare Tunze power heads, spare controller brain etc. You can never be too prepared. We have too much invested in our tanks to allow ourselves to be caught with our pants down so to speak.

OP, sorry to hear about your pump. Did you happen to take it apart and check the inside of the block (magnet cavity) for signs of issues or calcium buildup that could have overloaded the driver?

i did and no evidence. Im pretty sure its the driver. There is no sign of power going through

Cammunoz
07/08/2017, 10:10 AM
I agree have to get a spare! lesson learned

scuzy
07/08/2017, 10:14 AM
With all the stuff we have in our tank a spare is definitely worth its price. It doesn't need to be a high end spare just good enough to run until your originally comes back

Cammunoz
07/08/2017, 10:48 AM
With all the stuff we have in our tank a spare is definitely worth its price. It doesn't need to be a high end spare just good enough to run until your originally comes back

ecactly i agree i ended up picking this up ot will do https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170708/eaec901d3c721aca2e648ce05f45e803.jpg

ca1ore
07/08/2017, 04:00 PM
Yeah, keep anything on hand that cannot wait for 2-day shipping.

Cthehentz
07/08/2017, 05:59 PM
I keep my mag on standby with union fittings set and ready, I did just upgrade to a L1.

chris o
07/08/2017, 06:06 PM
I am curious why people don't run 2 return pumps. I have for years and I have a spare. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Chris

slief
07/08/2017, 07:01 PM
I am curious why people don't run 2 return pumps. I have for years and I have a spare. Maybe I am just paranoid.

Chris

More heat transfer, more electricity, more plumbing, more space needed. In over 30 years in this hobby, I've never had a return pump fail but I've always used pumps that have proven track records for longevity. That and I always keep a spare pump on hand and have my plumbing and spare pump setup for fast swaps. I can swap a return pump in my system in about 2 minutes even though it's external.

Alfrareef
07/08/2017, 07:24 PM
That's a good pump.
When it gets broken you'll buy a newer model and still stay below half the vectra cost...