PDA

View Full Version : Sick Anemone?

meverha1
07/08/2017, 03:08 PM
Just picked this guy up from the LFS and when I got him home I noticed how odd his right side looked, compared to his left.

Is it sick? Can it be saved? If so, how would I go about doing that?

http://i.imgur.com/4Q8GPdf.jpg?1

CoralsAddiction
07/08/2017, 03:35 PM
Looks borderline goner :(

meverha1
07/08/2017, 03:39 PM
I know..

But I just sent the pic to the owner of my LFS and he says that the anemone arrived via air freight last night and that his anemones always come I looking like that but within a day or two they are fully open and fine.

Going to give it until tomorrow morning and see how it looks. It actually looks a bit better now... open a bit more, etc... will update with picture again tomorrow

pfan151
07/08/2017, 05:42 PM
Looks like a huge tear on that side. Might as well keep it until it starts melting.

meverha1
07/08/2017, 05:57 PM
Looks like a huge tear on that side. Might as well keep it until it starts melting.

Certainly going to keep it until tomorrow morning and see how it looks. Will go from there.

Maybe my LFS is right but it does look like a tear to me too

pfan151
07/08/2017, 06:31 PM
Certainly going to keep it until tomorrow morning and see how it looks. Will go from there.

Maybe my LFS is right but it does look like a tear to me too

They can heal. It's small enough that it won't really have much effect on your water quality even if it dies.

meverha1
07/08/2017, 06:38 PM
They can heal. It's small enough that it won't really have much effect on your water quality even if it dies.

Even from a tear like that, if it is a tear?

Should I do anything special? Iodine, etc...?

pfan151
07/08/2017, 08:07 PM
Even from a tear like that, if it is a tear?

Should I do anything special? Iodine, etc...?

It's possible. I'd just leave it alone and see what happens.

Ryan Darilek
07/09/2017, 12:27 AM
Personally, if that is a tear ... which it looks like it is, I would see if your LFS guy will exchange it for another. If a nem has a damaged foot, 9 times out of 10 they won't make it and your only shot at saving him would be to move him to a QT and medicate. Seeing as how you just got him though, I would take it back for sure. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OrionN
07/09/2017, 07:19 AM
It looks like a H. malu. These anemones are pretty hardy. I am not 100% sure that the yellow is his natural color in that picture.

pfan151
07/09/2017, 07:49 AM
It looks like a H. malu. These anemones are pretty hardy. I am not 100% sure that the yellow is his natural color in that picture.

I was wondering about the color. Not sure if it's the blue lights making the foot look so bright yellow or not. I've seen a few recently at my LFS that looked dyed.

meverha1
07/09/2017, 09:33 AM

It's yellow. Not sure if it's naturally yellow or not.

meverha1
07/09/2017, 09:42 AM
Personally, if that is a tear ... which it looks like it is, I would see if your LFS guy will exchange it for another. If a nem has a damaged foot, 9 times out of 10 they won't make it

His foot is fine. If it's a tear it looks like it's on his side. Like maybe some of his tentacles were removed.

He didn't move last night and is deflated. However my tank lights are still off so being deflated isn't uncommon, I guess.

meverha1
07/09/2017, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately when the lights came on it was clear that he had started to disintegrate so I removed him from the tank.

99% sure he had a tear on his side.

j.falk
07/09/2017, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately when the lights came on it was clear that he had started to disintegrate so I removed him from the tank.

99% sure he had a tear on his side.

I would return it to where you bought it from.