PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Coral in a Fallow Tank??

Stolireef
07/08/2017, 06:45 PM
Live long enough and you're stupidity will catch up with you. Never QT'd and never had ich or any other fish disease. You know how this story ends...all but two fish dead from velvet.

So, I have a 125 with a bunch of corals that are doing really well. Set up a QT and will treat the two fish left (bangais are apparently immune from what I can tell) along with replacements in a newly set up 40 gallon system.

My question is how to 'feed' the corals during a three month fallow period. I occasionally add a bit of acropower and reef roids to the tank but I'm not sure that will compare to the complexity of fish poop. Mostly SPS but a few LPS and polyps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JustinM
07/08/2017, 07:11 PM
I added seachem flourish. Others have used stump remover. It will add nitrate to your tank. I kept mine between 2-5 ppm nitrate.

I also fed acro power on occasion and oyster feast too. No corals lost color and I still had great growth.

anthonys51
07/09/2017, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't do anything. For years we didn't feed our corals and they lived and grew. While corals do enjoy the occasional feeding not really much scientific proof to how much and how often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk