PDA

View Full Version : DIY welded stand

meyerbj81
07/08/2017, 07:43 PM
I have a 150 gal deep aquarium that i'm going to weld a stand for. It is a PVC and plywood bottom but didn't know if i need to add an additional plywood top the the stand or if if would be sufficiently supported by the 4 cross members I plan to weld on for the top of the stand?

mcgyvr
07/09/2017, 06:33 AM
And how are we supposed to know based on the details provided?
Who made the tank? Did you contact them to ask how it should be supported?

There are a few on this board though that seem to read minds through the internet :p

ericarenee
07/09/2017, 07:52 PM
I have seen a lot of plywood bottom acrylic tanks sit on metal stands with bracing every 12 inches or less.They usually have 5/8 or 3/4 plywood .

I would also suggest you ask the person or company who build the tank because not following there recommendations will certainly void your warranty if you have one.

meyerbj81
07/10/2017, 08:33 PM
well mcgyvr you sure seem to be pleasant. The tank is a 48 inch long, 30 inch deep and 24 inch high made of 1/2 inch glass by planet aquarium. I have reached out to them but have yet to receive a reply. I was planning on 1.5 or 2 inch steel tubing 11 gauge with 4 cross braces spaced evenly across the 48 inch span.

BigDave
07/11/2017, 09:52 AM
mcgyvr has a lot of DIY experience and is a bit of a realist. He likes having lots of information before providing a very well informed answer.

His recommendation to start with the manufacturer is the same answer I'd give. Once you know what they recommend, then designing the stand around that should be easy.

meyerbj81
07/11/2017, 05:43 PM
Never doubted anyone's experience or abilities, just taken aback a bit by the sarcastic and somewhat belittling response.

BigDave
07/11/2017, 07:38 PM
I can understand that. I've been accused of being sarcastic on other forums. It's usually because I wanted to give a quick answer but was being called away from my computer for some reason.