PDA

View Full Version : Splitting tank in half

Blabomb
07/09/2017, 02:58 AM
I've been trying to find some information on this but haven't found much.
I want to build a quarantine tank out of a 30 gallon tank I have in the garage. I'd like to be able to split it into two separate tanks to have two batches of quarantine going at a time. Is this structurally sound? There might be cases when I have only one side of the tank filled.

Ron Reefman
07/09/2017, 06:57 AM
Shouldn't be any different than a sump with different levels. The glass divider, if siliconed in properly, will only make the tank stronger. If others don't bring it up, do some searches about expansion and contraction of baffles in a glass tank. I forget if it glass or acrylic that has this issue.

GQuinn
07/09/2017, 07:06 AM
Shouldn't be any different than a sump with different levels. The glass divider, if siliconed in properly, will only make the tank stronger. If others don't bring it up, do some searches about expansion and contraction of baffles in a glass tank. I forget if it glass or acrylic that has this issue.

Acrylic baffles can expand in a glass tank causing the tank to break. You can still use them, you just have to leave a little clearance between the acrylic and the glass and fill the gap with silicone.

billdogg
07/09/2017, 08:04 AM
As mentioned above - you can easily divide any tank into two or more sections. If it is a glass tank, use glass dividers. The issue will be how you plan on preventing cross-contamination between them - considering that even a single drop of water could conceivably spread disease, I would think it to not be worth the risk. That, and the fact that the baffle will probably cost as much as a whole tank of similar size.

jccaclimber
07/09/2017, 10:23 AM
Silicone doesn't really bond properly to glass, so long term you wouldn't want to use an acrylic panel in a glass tank, and I'm not sure what the benefit would be to using a glass panel in an acrylic tank other than perhaps cost depending on your local glass shop pricing.

Even with glass on glass make the panel a bit undersized. A bit too small and the silicone will fill, a bit too big and it won't fit or will have to sit crooked. It's also very hard to take just a bit off of the glass if it's too big whereas acrylic you can easily make just a bit smaller.

Make the baffle thickness the same as the the rest of the tank so you don't have to worry about the baffle breaking when one side is full, and as above it will only make the tank stronger.

Drblakjak55
07/09/2017, 12:41 PM
More expense. More risk. Tanks are a dollar a gallon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blabomb
07/09/2017, 09:00 PM
I appreciate all the input. Im looking to set up my quarantine this way simply due to space. I have a double decker 30 gallon stand that will house my quarantine system on the top and my ato reservoir on the bottom. My local glass shop is pretty cheap I can get a divider cut for just a few bucks.

jccaclimber
07/09/2017, 09:07 PM
I would measure the inside of the tank where you want to put the sheet at both the top and bottom (usually but not always square), then subtract 1/8" to 1/4" I'd also not feel the need to put it all the way to the top. Remember the bottom corners will need to be chamfered slightly (ie cut off) to get around the silicone already in there. Also, you need to use some sandpaper and a block of wood to break the sharp edge on any sides that will be exposed (I just do this on all sides as soon as I get home for safety reasons).

Clean, dry, silicone, sit for a couple days, good to go.

Blabomb
07/09/2017, 09:13 PM
I would measure the inside of the tank where you want to put the sheet at both the top and bottom (usually but not always square), then subtract 1/8" to 1/4" I'd also not feel the need to put it all the way to the top. Remember the bottom corners will need to be chamfered slightly (ie cut off) to get around the silicone already in there. Also, you need to use some sandpaper and a block of wood to break the sharp edge on any sides that will be exposed (I just do this on all sides as soon as I get home for safety reasons).

Clean, dry, silicone, sit for a couple days, good to go.

Could you elaborate more on the second half of your post? I let the baffles in my sump squared off when I installed them. Did I do something wrong?
With the sandpaper and wood are you referring to polishing the edge of the cut glass?

jccaclimber
07/09/2017, 09:20 PM
1) If the pane of glass fit you're fine. The silicone makes the bottom corner effectively round rather than square. If you have particularly large seams and your glass is about as big as it can be an still fit then it will sit a long way from the bottom of the tank, and that's a big gap to fill. If you got it installed without issue I wouldn't worry about it. This also becomes much worse if you don't have that 1/8" gap on the sides.
2) Yes, just referring to polishing the edges. I don't do a full polish per se, just enough to prevent cutting myself or others.