View Full Version : Need ideas for keeping leak probe on the floor

07/09/2017, 08:24 AM
After waking up at 5 am to a leak I decided its time to create a leak sensor. Found this great DIY (http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Simple-Aquarium-Leak-Detector/) and I already have all the parts need, I just dont like his method of keeping the wire probes on the floor by using wire clips.


I looked at the neptune leak module and it looks like a puck- which gave me the idea of trying to set the probes in a block of resin or something to keep them right up against the floor (I have a hardwood floor around my tank) with a little weight to help keep them down.

Anyone have any ideas?

07/09/2017, 08:30 AM
Get two cheap pieces of PCB from Radio Shack or wherever - the kind with regularly spaced holes or just solid. Solder each of your leads to one piece of PCB, then glue the PCBs to the bottom of a small weight.

07/09/2017, 08:44 AM
If you wanted something fancy a cast resin block with leads sticking slightly out the bottom would work, although so would a felt pad (ie non conductive) and a chunk of anything heavy enough to hold the wire down would work. A chunk of steel comes to mind, although I'd paint it so that it doesn't rust from occasional salt spray.

07/09/2017, 09:10 AM
I like the PCB idea. You think something like the pic below would work? I could probably chain a few of them together and place them all around the base of the tank.


07/09/2017, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but there's no continuity from pad to pad in that particular PCB. Ideally you want the whole surface in the circuit. If you use one with holes, try to find one where the copper around the holes is all connected. Or just get plain old raw PCBs with no holes and copper on the whole surface.

I don't think these have to be very big for a leak detector, even if you bought one or two larger pieces you could cut them into a bunch of 1/2" squares. For each "puck" glue a pair really close together so there's only a mm or two of gap.

07/10/2017, 10:13 AM

Try copper or aluminum tape instead.


Best regards.

Fernando Garcia