PDA

View Full Version : New setup help needed

angelian
07/09/2017, 08:35 AM
Hello all again. It's been a few years out of the hobby and I was just starting up again. However, I need your advice. Although I'm not a newbie to the hobby, I'm fairly new to setting things up on my own. Although I've recruited some help, I can't get my tank flowing properly. Here's the specs:

260 gallon display tank
75 gallon sump
Iwaki MX-70VT-15L pump
Lifereef double siphon tube overflow box
1" flex tubing running from basement (sump) to main floor display tank

Issue - although I keep adjusting the flow of the pump (which is much more powerful than needed), the overflow won't flow to sump in a continuous way. Keeps 'sucking' through the lines almost violently even though I keep establishing a good siphon. The guy helping me install it closed off one fo the lines down to the sump, but surely that's not the way it's designed. After several hours of trying to fix it, I've given up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Note that I'm not an expert, so if you could bring the explanation down to a 'novice' level, I'd be very thankful. : )

lg2725
07/09/2017, 09:05 AM
Ok. To get started what size are the drains to the basement. How long of a run is it? Do you know your head loss? How many drains do you have? I am no expert either but I think you will get more help with more info given.