PDA

View Full Version : Kapton Doubts

Johcastro
07/09/2017, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,

im doing a new LED fixture, with a couple of changes i hope i can show you sometime, i want the finished product before i can show off jajajaja, anyway, im checking the option to use Kapton tape to put between the leds and the heasink for thermal conduction, yes i know there is 2 types of kapton, thermal conductive and non thermal conductive, but i have found mixed comments and reviews on the matter, i wanted to do a general census on how many have used it and found it effective vs how many have used it (not read about, but actual use) and had issues with it.

thanks for all the support, and i hope to share my project really soon, im doing pwm, not using wires and some other crazy stuff jajajaja

mcgyvr
07/09/2017, 02:50 PM
Not sure what you want to know or what your product really needs.
Kapton tape is really for electrical insulation.. and its used as part of the construction in some thermal interface materials when high electrical resistance is needed.. But when its not there are far better materials..

Choose a thermal interface material based on your needs..
Do you need electrical isolation?

Kapton tape is a great material though.. for what its good at.... electrical isolation..

Its NOT the choice for thermal conductivity or to be used as a sole thermal interface material..

Gorgok
07/09/2017, 04:05 PM
I am sure there are many companies that have thermal grease/adhesive that is electrically isolating. At least Arctic Silver's Ceramique grease is a completely isolating, and their adhesive Arctic Alumina is as well.

theatrus
07/09/2017, 05:02 PM
Just dry mounting with enough pressure would be preferable to kapton. Kapton is a high temperature electrical insulator, so if you need electrical isolation (for example, the MPCB is tied to LED anode), use it. You likely don't.

Thin layers of thermal grease would be best.