PDA

View Full Version : Powder Blue Tang picking on Purple Tang

DSDoyle
07/09/2017, 04:18 PM
Hello,

We have had a Powder Blue Tang for about three weeks. We recently got a Purple Tang and the Blue keeps picking on the Purple. How can I attempt to stop it?

Thanks for your help,

Don

mike61289
07/09/2017, 07:27 PM
Hello,

We have had a Powder Blue Tang for about three weeks. We recently got a Purple Tang and the Blue keeps picking on the Purple. How can I attempt to stop it?

Thanks for your help,

Don

Separate and acclimate them to each other's presence via a divider or acclimation box. You can also put a mirror next to the tank to distract the powder blue with his own reflection.

How big a tank are they in?

scuzy
07/09/2017, 08:19 PM
Mirrors works great. Tape one on each end

Pericyte
07/09/2017, 10:16 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your help,

Don

How big of a tank and how many tangs?

I have had better luck adding more than one "large" species fish at a time.

dh350twin
07/10/2017, 12:01 AM
Can you catch them?

OrionN
07/10/2017, 06:50 AM
Both of these tangs are aggressive tangs so the establish tang pick on a newer tang is common. In your tank, a 150 gal tank I think, they should settle out given a little more time, as long as on is not getting beat up too bad.
There are several things you can do to improve the chance of tang once added into a tank:
Make sure that you have them use to captivity. I often keep new fish in my frag tank, plumbed to the main system where they can be by themselves to get them use to captivity living, fat, before get them to my DT. A specially designed sump will work just as well. Keep in mind that this is not the same as quarantine a fish.

Know your fish and clearly plan out which fish to add first. In your case, I think you messed up here. PB Tang and Purple Tang are aggressive in the aggressive scale of tangs. If you only going to keep these two tangs, then this is fine, but you will have problem adding tangs with these two in the tank already.

It help if the second tang is more aggressive, or larger than the resident tang. In your case, if the mirrors does not help, you may want to remove the PBT temporary and re introduce him when the Purple tang is more established.

Good luck with our tank and fishes.