PDA

View Full Version : Research on C. Irritan Treatment - EGCG - Hydrogen Peroxide

elFloyd
07/10/2017, 04:14 PM
I read a research paper on treatments for C. Irritans. Two treatments caught my eye: The use of EGCG (a green tea extract), and hydrogen peroxide. I am wondering if anyone has experience with these treatments.

If my math is correct:
- 50 mg / liter for EGCG results in 100% Theront mortality within 3 hours.
- (or) 100 mg / liter Hydrogen Peroxide results in 92% Theront mortality within 3 hours.(33% solution, I think our home solution to be 3%).

These treatments had no detrimental affect on the fish. I would like to know the affect of these treatments in a reef tank with inverts and associated corals.

In theory we could dose an infected display tank and break the C. Irritans life cycle. Treatment would be a daily dose for up to 72 days, although a less stringent regime could be just as beneficial. Seems too easy... someone would have packaged and sold the treatment (and became rich in the process). What's the down side?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao2011/94/d094p167.pdf

Side note: Other research papers alluded to the possibility of a fish vaccine to give fish immunity to Ich.

suta4242
07/10/2017, 05:19 PM
100 mg /L fora bath has been tried locally, there were a number of ppl trying it a few years back on our local forum. It doesn't break the cycle. However, as a pre quarantine bath its useful for velvet (noga), but needs to be repeated a week later and the fish transferred to a new tank.

Similarly, the bath is very effective IME for Lymphocystis, provided the fish is then placed in clean water with low nutrient levels.

Not sure if you're aware that maintaining a high concentration of peroxide in the water is pretty damaging to fish gills? If you want an in tank treatment, sodium percarbonate would apparently be a lot less damaging.

Hope that helps.

scooter31707
07/13/2017, 01:43 PM
I dose my tank with hydrogen peroxide before, but not to treat ich. I was combating brynosis at the time. The tank did not have any ill effects from the dosing. Fish, corals, and inverts did just fine.