PDA

View Full Version : DIY Ecotech battery backup! - emergency power!

shiftline
07/10/2017, 04:34 PM
After heater malfunctions, extended power outages .. and lack of flow(oxygenation) can can be one of the biggest ways to crash a tank. I wanted to ensure I never had this issue and decided to make an overkill DIY battery backup for my ecotech powerheads and neptune apex controller
https://youtu.be/BV14qU48I8w

BlueRoofTang
07/10/2017, 07:54 PM
So the ecotech battery backups are 12v, and any car battery will work, right?

I had a rental house that somebody had stolen all the plumbing and wiring from (crawlspace). I basically did a setup like this with an electric fence, and ran the wiring all around in the crawlspace. I figured if they cut off power at the breaker box, they'd get a rude awakening when they tried to move around and hit a wire that they thought would be dead. :beer:

shiftline
07/11/2017, 11:36 PM
Technically a car a car battery will work but I would recommend using a sealed battery. If you use a regular battery you will need to vent it .

Someone actually stole the plumbing?! That's messed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d0ughb0y
07/12/2017, 12:38 PM
After heater malfunctions, extended power outages .. and lack of flow(oxygenation) can can be one of the biggest ways to crash a tank. I wanted to ensure I never had this issue and decided to make an overkill DIY battery backup for my ecotech powerheads and neptune apex controller
https://youtu.be/BV14qU48I8w

did you just wire the trickle charger to the battery terminals and the dc plug also to the battery terminals?
I've seen people use solar charger switchover device. It shutdown the output if battery voltage gets too low, and shuts off the charging source once battery hits full charge (It think around 14v).

So the ecotech battery backups are 12v, and any car battery will work, right?

I had a rental house that somebody had stolen all the plumbing and wiring from (crawlspace). I basically did a setup like this with an electric fence, and ran the wiring all around in the crawlspace. I figured if they cut off power at the breaker box, they'd get a rude awakening when they tried to move around and hit a wire that they thought would be dead. :beer:

I'm pretty sure the burglar can sue you for everything you've got if they get electrocuted while burglarizing your house. I know that's even more messed up.

shiftline
07/12/2017, 12:40 PM
You are correct with just wiring it up directly. The Ecotech drivers do the switching so you dont have to worry about it on the battery side.

If you wanted to power directly from it 24/7 then a switch over may help.. good call on the solar chargers! thats a cheap easy solution :)

JonCubb
07/14/2017, 08:04 PM
Technically a car a car battery will work but I would recommend using a sealed battery. If you use a regular battery you will need to vent it .

Could get a sealed car battery like an Optima Red Top, but thats a bit cost prohibitive, those are around $200 last I checked.

hellssephiroth
07/16/2017, 03:30 AM
Sealed motorcycle battery.

shiftline
07/16/2017, 11:35 AM
Tons of options just make sure it's a sealed battery!

sfsuphysics
07/20/2017, 08:36 PM
Plan on replacing my Prius battery (12V one not the big one) soon and thought about saving the battery (still has some life left in it), I wonder if I can use an existing Ecotech battery backup and just piggy back off that battery using the Ecotech circuitry to deal with the charging (and not overcharging).

shiftline
07/21/2017, 12:02 AM
The only concern is if the charger can put out enough juice for a car battery. Do you know how many amp hours it is? I would only use it if it's a sealed battery

wcharon
07/21/2017, 04:56 AM
Hi to all.

I have a Belkin Battery that I switches on when the electricity goes out to power a Jebao RW-15.

I also have a spare Belkin Battery that I also use it for my alarm system. Is there any way I can connect both so my Jebao last longer? Or any other idea?

Thanks in advance.

BlueRoofTang
07/23/2017, 07:41 PM
They stole all the plumbing and all the wiring. It was all in a crawlspace under the house. They just cut all the wires where they ran up into the house. I bought the house cheap for that reason, but when I paid to get it all put back in, I went with PEX plumbing. They came back and stole the wiring again, but didn't touch the pex.

did you just wire the trickle charger to the battery terminals and the dc plug also to the battery terminals?

I'm pretty sure the burglar can sue you for everything you've got if they get electrocuted while burglarizing your house. I know that's even more messed up.
Yes. As for the thief....the electric fence was for raccoons that were in there. :beer: If they accidentally hit it when they were in there to steal, it's their fault, not mine. I never plan to make a place safe for criminals. It's not my responsibility. :lol2:

JonCubb
07/25/2017, 02:11 PM
They stole all the plumbing and all the wiring. It was all in a crawlspace under the house. They just cut all the wires where they ran up into the house. I bought the house cheap for that reason, but when I paid to get it all put back in, I went with PEX plumbing. They came back and stole the wiring again, but didn't touch the pex.

Yes. As for the thief....the electric fence was for raccoons that were in there. :beer: If they accidentally hit it when they were in there to steal, it's their fault, not mine. I never plan to make a place safe for criminals. It's not my responsibility. :lol2:

Love it, however, depending on your state, that could *still* be grounds for a lawsuit in favor of the criminal. God Bless America.

d0ughb0y
07/25/2017, 02:48 PM
it may not sound right, but if there is no law against that, who knows what/who (unintended person) can get electrocuted. I would not be surprised if the law for animals is stricter than for humans. ignorance of the law is never allowed as an excuse to break it.