PDA

View Full Version : A fun little DIY skimmer stand

Clowning_Around
07/10/2017, 07:52 PM
8x12x1/4 acrylic & one 2 ft×1/2" nylon all thread.

So how'd I do?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170711/8c1a41c2167e05de37c61bcf745bcbfd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Kadee
07/11/2017, 07:24 AM
Nice!

BigDave
07/11/2017, 09:42 AM
Looks good. Let us know how it takes the weight of a full skimmer.

Clowning_Around
07/11/2017, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys. Well despite tapping the acrylic for the all thread was a little challenging it turned out well. I have nkw doubt it can handle the weight of a full skimmer and then some. But I suppose there's no substitute for the real test :). Will post a pic once setup but im currently in the process of redoing my sump so it maybe a bit

Kadee
07/12/2017, 07:33 AM
Is the concern that the all-thread will not be stable in the threaded acrylic with the full weight of a skimmer? Imo that would be easily rectified with a nylon washer and nut or two. Attractive innovation!

BigDave
07/12/2017, 07:37 AM
The concern is with the all-thread, yes. I fly RC quadcopters and use nylon bolts for some of the assembly. Every few months I have to replace them due to the nylon slowly warping/bending/flexing.

With the weight in the center of the plexi, I can see the nylon legs splaying slightly and in the warm water having it bend over time.

FullBoreReefer
07/12/2017, 12:10 PM
The concern is with the all-thread, yes. I fly RC quadcopters and use nylon bolts for some of the assembly. Every few months I have to replace them due to the nylon slowly warping/bending/flexing.

With the weight in the center of the plexi, I can see the nylon legs splaying slightly and in the warm water having it bend over time.

What quads do you have? I fly an Inspire1 mainly for jobs. But I also have a few others for pleasure.

BigDave
07/12/2017, 12:21 PM
I'll PM you so we don't derail the thread.

Clowning_Around
07/13/2017, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the concern, ill keep an eye on it. Given the vertical span vs the thread diameter i feel pretty good about it but like you pointed out - the over time factor... If I have to, I suppose I could add an intermediate thin acrylic support plate in the shape of a dog bone so to speak.

Clowning_Around
07/13/2017, 03:43 PM
I'll PM you so we don't derail the thread.
Appreciate that ;)

Mr06evo
07/14/2017, 05:37 AM
Looks really nice! I'm using an rubbermaid container with a few holes in it lol.

BigDave
07/14/2017, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the concern, ill keep an eye on it. Given the vertical span vs the thread diameter i feel pretty good about it but like you pointed out - the over time factor... If I have to, I suppose I could add an intermediate thin acrylic support plate in the shape of a dog bone so to speak.

Either a dogbone or just and x shape. I'd make a X with holes big enough that it doesn't need to be threaded. put it on the bottom of the 4 legs and use plastic nuts to hold it in place.

But like you said, the height isn't much, so it may never be a problem.

Clowning_Around
07/14/2017, 10:35 AM
Looks really nice! I'm using an rubbermaid container with a few holes in it lol.
Thanks