PDA

View Full Version : Elegance Coral

DSDoyle
07/10/2017, 10:55 PM
Hello,

I have a 150g reef aquarium. All of the other LPS (brains, duncan, torch, frogspawn, hammer) are doing great, but I am not having any luck with Elegance. I have given it plenty of space (in fact more than all of the others) and I have placed on the substrate.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Don

lilyost4290
07/11/2017, 09:30 AM
These are tough ones to keep alive. Any idea where its from, Australia or Indonesia? People seem to have better luck with the Australian ones. Also, what kind of flow is it getting? I find that mine likes virtually nonexistent flow.

AlSimmons
07/11/2017, 10:04 AM
The link below might help.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php

rajilnaja
07/11/2017, 01:23 PM
Mine has been doing well for almost a year in low-med light and med-high flow on the sandbed. When the flow is lower it does not expand, and it does have days where it wont open fully. The low flow most people seems to keep it in does not work for me.

Bolivian Ram
07/11/2017, 03:14 PM
I have an Elegance Coral for 6 years now which I purchased from a fellow hobbyist. I also bought another one a year ago that only lasted 3 months from an LFS. Now I do not know the origins of these corals, whether Australian or Indonesian, but what I do know is the Elegance collected these days are not as hardy as the ones from years ago. The one that lasted 3 months was in the same tank as my 6 year old Elegance. Both were under Metal Halides and T5HO. Flow is the same. Both expanded well. The one that lasted 3 months started showing symptoms that are associated with the Elegance Coral disease. After a month of this it was dead. My other Elegance is still going strong.

What caused the death of the 3 month old Elegance is anyone's guess. All I know is the Elegance corals being imported presently are not hardy like the one from years ago. As such if you want to try Elegance corals buy from fellow hobbyist who have had it for more than a year.

DSDoyle
07/11/2017, 11:30 PM
The last one I got was from LiveAquaria Diver's Den and it was Aussie. So maybe the Aussie thought is negated?